Author Topic: tyres.. repair or new?  (Read 5376 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
tyres.. repair or new?
« on: 06 May 2016, 23:57 »
Tyre pressure loss warning came on tonight. Drove slowly and pulled off at the next junction and had a look... Checked it and it was down to 24psi so did a further inspection and found a screw it the drivers side front.

From past experience it should be in a repairable area, however am very tempted to use it as an excuse to get 2 new fronts and get rid of the Bridgestone's. Don't really have the money for new tyres right now but that's what the plastic is for! :laugh:

Any thoughts?

If I go for new ones (likely) will either get michelin ps4 or conti csc6. Hopefully I can find somewhere that has them in stock.

2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline AntGTD

• GTI forum regular
Re: tyres.. repair or new?
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2016, 08:34 »
If the tread is 4mm or less I'd be tempted to swap them. :)
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD 180(ish) Reflex Silver with loads of stuff

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2016, 09:12 »
... tough one.

Are the new Bridgestones still as bad as the ones that were fitted to my Mk6 GTD? ...hard, noisy and - unfortunately - long wearing  :undecided:

When my front Bridgestones were gone, I bought 4 replacements and gave the rears to my parents for the front of their Merc. Don't worry, the Bridgestones would still be much better than any tyre that my Dad would have paid for. He always buys the cheapest tyres :rolleyes:

I'll probably be changing my car next year. Golf GTI PP is top of the list. I'm hoping against hope that next years car will not be using Bridgestones. Or I will be faced with a similar dilemma.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2016, 09:50 »
Bridgestones are quite hard yes, but I've not had anything to compare to TBH. I have had some quite bad tramping with them, when giving it the beans on a launch. by all accounts on here people seem to want to get rid of them and have heard others say their car is transformed once they put something better on.

As I say could do with out spending the money at the moment, and there is a lot left on them as i only got the car in january, but I have talked myself into it. :whistle:

Managed to get a deal on 2 michelin pilot sport 4 fitted for £218 at kwik fit, which is about as good as I've seen anywhere. Not sure I trust kwikfit that much, but needs must. The guy (obviously selling it) said this new tread pattern has amazing grip. Certainly I am not touching national tyres with a barge pole after I had lots of bother with them not being able to balance properly on the last car (fiesta). There was another local place I tried i would have trusted more but they didn't have any in.

Hopefully everyone on here is right (am sure they will be) and I wont regret spending the money now!

Booked in for 11.30 today to get it done.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2016, 09:52 by davewilliams000 »

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2016, 12:19 »
Its getting done just now...

Didn't realise the fronts were down to 4mm :shocked: Backs are at 5mm. I've done just over 5k miles but have clearly been enjoying the gtd a bit too much! :laugh: Maybe its been the wheelspin and tramping with whilst I've been getting used to all that torque.

Don't feel so bad about spending the money now. Look forward to better grip (they're A rated for wet grip), reduced wheelspin and hopefully no tramping with the michelins. He showed me them before they are putting me on and they are also profiled on the sidewall so there's less chance of kerbing the alloys :smile:

Am going to have to calm myself and take it a bit easy for the first couple of hundred miles (1 week)... No launches :laugh:

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2016, 18:02 »
I'll probably be changing my car next year. Golf GTI PP is top of the list. I'm hoping against hope that next years car will not be using Bridgestones. Or I will be faced with a similar dilemma.

Go for 19's and you will avoid the dreaded Bridgestones. Actually cheaper to just ditch them on delivery and replace with something more suitable, if 18's will do. I prefer 18's, for better ride/handling balance, as well as ongoing costs. The Bridgestones on mine haven't been to bad for the first 1K miles, so I'll see how they go on later.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2016, 11:50 by Talk-torque »
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline AntGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2016, 20:39 »
Brave man going to Kwikfit!
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD 180(ish) Reflex Silver with loads of stuff

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2016, 11:45 »
Its getting done just now...

Didn't realise the fronts were down to 4mm :shocked: Backs are at 5mm. I've done just over 5k miles but have clearly been enjoying the gtd a bit too much! :laugh: Maybe its been the wheelspin and tramping with whilst I've been getting used to all that torque.

Don't feel so bad about spending the money now. Look forward to better grip (they're A rated for wet grip), reduced wheelspin and hopefully no tramping with the michelins. He showed me them before they are putting me on and they are also profiled on the sidewall so there's less chance of kerbing the alloys :smile:

Am going to have to calm myself and take it a bit easy for the first couple of hundred miles (1 week)... No launches :laugh:

New tyres only come with 8mm on anyway and don't expect the bead protectors to do anything they are like snake oil. If you kerb it you will damage it unless it is the gentlest of touches.. I found the wheel tramp is only solved with the dog-bone insert, it is like night and day when getting the power down.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2016, 11:35 »
Brave man going to Kwikfit!

Yes I was concerned a bit. Wouldn't use them for anything else though and I was desperate as I needed the car for work today (no trains to get me to Glasgow for 7am from where I live!). I was watching them the entire time through the window whilst drinking a complementary cup of tea. Checked afterwards and all is good. No visible alloy or sill damage

New tyres only come with 8mm on anyway and don't expect the bead protectors to do anything they are like snake oil. If you kerb it you will damage it unless it is the gentlest of touches.. I found the wheel tramp is only solved with the dog-bone insert, it is like night and day when getting the power down.

So far so good.  :grin: Not been giving them too much stick but traction does seem a lot better. Maybe its a bit in my mind, but I can put my foot fully down faster than before (engine: sport in individual mode) and the traction control light has not come on at all, and had no signs of tramping.

quite a bit of tyre fitting gunk on the alloys.. to be expected...

so treated the car to a full wash inc snow foam, wheel cleaner and 2 bucket wash..

[/ur]

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2016, 12:46 »
You won't regret it, they're fantastic tyres. I had 4 x PS4's fitted last month and I can now do a full bore standing start with no wheelspin/tramping whatsoever! Mine have done around 1500 miles now and they're settling in nicely.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!