Author Topic: Sat Nav Update?  (Read 9497 times)

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
Re: Sat Nav Update?
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2019, 21:16 »
I found updating a nightmare and eventually gave up and went into the dealership. They agreed to do it for me, took out the SD card for a few days then told me all done. Was it? No, they'd wiped it. They even admitted they preferred to tell customers to DIY as it usually went wrong!

So then they gave me a brand new SD card and uploaded onto that. But did it work? Like heck no!

Eventually they bought  (with a degree of grumbling) a new VW ready-loaded SD card which did finally work,  but it begs the question: if the dealership can't sucessfully update an SD card, how do they expect a customer to?????

OK - onto my question: I've checked the version (navigation/settings/advanced/version) but what it displays does not seem to match any version numbers I've seen online. Can anyone decipher?

5NA919866R
ECE AS 19/20

« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 22:19 by canalmike »

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2019, 22:06 »
Never had issues updating maps.

Download new maps and extract using 7Zip or WinZip to a folder on your PC.

Remove card from car and insert to PC. Copy card to new folder you make on desktop just in case there is a problem with new maps so you can copy them back onto the card.

Format the card. Copy and Paste new maps from the folder to the card.

Insert card back into car turn on and the new maps should load.

That is how I have always done it and not had issues.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2019, 09:39 »
Yes, probably not as straightforward as it could be, but I’ve always managed it OK, following the procedure above. You have to be careful and patient, but it works. Honestly, it’s not rocket science.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2019, 11:23 »
I recently checked, using the DiscoverCare App on my desktop and found that there is a new 2019 update. Downloaded it to an SD card (took several hours) inserted the SD card into slot 1 in the car and loaded the new version to the car (took about 25 minutes).

OK, I'm familiar with the process, having updated the map several times, but it really is easy once you get to grips with Discover Care which isn't exactly intuitive.

Offline Catnapper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2019, 11:56 »
I found updating a nightmare and eventually gave up and went into the dealership. They agreed to do it for me, took out the SD card for a few days then told me all done. Was it? No, they'd wiped it. They even admitted they preferred to tell customers to DIY as it usually went wrong!

So then they gave me a brand new SD card and uploaded onto that. But did it work? Like heck no!

Eventually they bought  (with a degree of grumbling) a new VW ready-loaded SD card which did finally work,  but it begs the question: if the dealership can't sucessfully update an SD card, how do they expect a customer to?????

OK - onto my question: I've checked the version (navigation/settings/advanced/version) but what it displays does not seem to match any version numbers I've seen online. Can anyone decipher?

5NA919866R
ECE AS 19/20

Also lost when I look at version installed as it bears no comparison to data on Discovercare,
Any ideas anyone!!!!
MK7.5 Indium Grey 19" Brescia Alloys

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2019, 12:52 »
I struggle like hell downloading map updates because I use a MacBook. Never found an easy solution!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2019, 12:54 »
Never had issues updating maps.

Download new maps and extract using 7Zip or WinZip to a folder on your PC.

Remove card from car and insert to PC. Copy card to new folder you make on desktop just in case there is a problem with new maps so you can copy them back onto the card.

Format the card. Copy and Paste new maps from the folder to the card.

Insert card back into car turn on and the new maps should load.

That is how I have always done it and not had issues.

Hi there, can I ask the Mr Thicky question, what do you mean by formatting the card?

Hoping to update my nav for the first time provided my OH lets me use her laptop!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2019, 13:23 »
Formatting a card removes all the data and prepares the card to receive new data. Important to copy all the old data to your laptop, before you format, in case anything goes wrong!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2019, 13:53 »
Good to hear some of you manage this without difficulty - but begs the question of why the dealership could not!

As for my question, Can anyone decipher?

5NA919866R
ECE AS 19/20

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2019, 14:29 »
Formatting a card removes all the data and prepares the card to receive new data. Important to copy all the old data to your laptop, before you format, in case anything goes wrong!

Thanks for the explanation :smiley: Unfortunately whilst being a bit wiser I've no idea what I'm supposed to do :embarrassed: I'll have to google it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.