Author Topic: GTI 7.5PP - New Car Ceramic Detail - completed (pics)  (Read 5206 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
After it being away for 4 days I've just been to pick up my new GTI from having its 'new car' detail and ceramic protection.

With two young kids and long motorway trips, my priority was getting the paint perfect then protecting the car (inside and out) with ultimate durability!

The detailer I use is Kamikaze accredited, so he mainly uses Kamikaze products, which are really good, especially as the main products are only available if you're approved/accredited by Kamikaze themselves. The main coating is 'self-healing', and when used together creates a barrier that is guaranteed for a minimum of 3years.

Anyway on to the detail itself.... the car was first inspected fully for paint depths and imperfections then machine polished. Apart from a few buffing marks from the dealer he said the paint was in good condition and had decent depth. He also told me it's obvious that from mid 2018 VAG Group have reduced the amount of paint they are putting on their cars. He said that all the VW/Audi/Seat's he does now have up to 40% less paint coverage than cars from 2017 and previous! So essentially they are painting two cars for the previous price of one. Mine had a minimum and maximum, but all good coverage and thankfully no concerns.

After the machine polish, the paint was coated in Kamikaze Zipang, all the exterior plastic trims, wheel arches, engine bay plastics and anything that wasn't painted was coated in Kamikaze Miyabi. Once all that had dried he put another coat of Miyabi over the top of everything for ultra durability and gloss (making the Isaac blue really pop!), and to also create the 'self-healing' coverage.

Wheels were removed and 2x coats of Kamikaze Stance used on the wheels, and also the callipers, hubs and exhausts. ACF50 was put all over the suspension. Wheel nut covers were also treated.

Kamikaze Intenso was applied to all the glass.

Inside the leather got 2x coats of Dr Leather dye block, all the fabrics got 2x coats of Aerospace fabric guard, and the dash and interior plastics got 2x coats of Gtechnic Matte.

Here's some of the pics he took during the process, and at the end. I'm really pleased with the results, it looks and feels better than new and I think will be very durable. When I picked it up the heavens really opened, but the rain just sheeted off the car!  :cool:

« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 00:28 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Wide

• I live here
Re: GTI 7.5PP - New Car Ceramic Detail - completed (pics)
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2019, 17:59 »
Awesome!  :smiley:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2019, 18:40 »
@kmpowell; that looks fantastic. You must be really chuffed with the outcome.

Less paint being used per car doesn’t come as a great surprise; it’s an easy way for VW to cut costs without any visible evidence to the customer of this (cost cutting) being done.

I wonder if less paint thickness will mean greater susceptibility to stone chippping? I’ve read on one of the Ford forums of owners complaining of thin paint coverage and paint chipping very easily. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2019, 00:22 »
Car looks amazing to be honest  :cool:
If you don't mind me asking, how much is such a treatment ? Thinking of doing my car

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2019, 11:31 »
Thanks guys - I'm really pleased. The sun is out today after the torrential rain we had in teh last 24hrs. All the rain has literally fallen off the car, leaving the paint to pop in the low sun.  :cool:

I wonder if less paint thickness will mean greater susceptibility to stone chippping?
I was contemplating some PPF, but I thought I'd take the chance. If it starts happening, which due to the type of driving I do is a high possibility, then I'll have it done. You're right though, I remember there was a furore on the RS forums due to MK3 Focus RS's chipping badly very quickly. That might also have something to do with the paint quality though. My detailer said the paint on VW's is generally quite hard, so stone chipping is reduced. He told me that the vulnerable parts on VW are the black window pillars or anything painted gloss black etc, because they have really soft black paint.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is such a treatment ? Thinking of doing my car
It'll depend on the detailer you use, where they work (a unit or from home) and also the brand of products they offer. For a high-end finish expect to pay anywhere from £600-1000 depending where you are in the country. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 12:21 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2019, 16:25 »
Beautiful! 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2019, 23:15 »
Looks awesome, love Isaac blue too!
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR