Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2765478 times)

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9930 on: 22 January 2020, 11:17 »
The tyre pressure warning cane on yesterday on the way back from Bicester ( :sad:) and they were only 35.5 all round, well below the 39-41 recommended for the all season/ winter tyres. I’ve put them all on 39.5 because 41 looks really high to me and took it for a quick drive; the ride felt a good bit better so will keep an eye.

I’ve also fitted the Lockwood sill protectors that arrived last week. I’ll try and put a photo up when we get a decent day, but really pleased with them and give good protection. Cheers
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9931 on: 22 January 2020, 11:47 »
The tyre pressure warning cane on yesterday on the way back from Bicester ( :sad:) and they were only 35.5 all round, well below the 39-41 recommended for the all season/ winter tyres. I’ve put them all on 39.5 because 41 looks really high to me and took it for a quick drive; the ride felt a good bit better so will keep an eye.

I’ve also fitted the Lockwood sill protectors that arrived last week. I’ll try and put a photo up when we get a decent day, but really pleased with them and give good protection. Cheers

Not that I want to start a whole debate about this because I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere but I'm assuming VW have only suggested the 39-40 psi for economy/emission reasons as I've never had tyres of these sizes anywhere near these pressures! What are you guys running yours at as I found, to me at least the ride much less jiggly at 35 all-round with probably more grip because the tyre can actually flex and seems to bite in to the road more?

Btw - 18" Bridgestone's.... for now! :embarrassed:

2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9932 on: 22 January 2020, 11:50 »

Not that I want to start a whole debate about this because I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere but I'm assuming VW have only suggested the 39-40 psi for economy/emission reasons as I've never had tyres of these sizes anywhere near these pressures! What are you guys running yours at as I found, to me at least the ride much less jiggly at 35 all-round with probably more grip because the tyre can actually flex and seems to bite in to the road more?

Btw - 18" Bridgestone's.... for now! :embarrassed:

36 All round on 18's with Eagle F1 Asy 5's. 41psi is madness. I find 36 to be the sweet spot between ride/handling/comfort/wear.
As you say, 41 is for economy and knocking your fillings out.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9933 on: 22 January 2020, 14:02 »
Mine spent this morning having an engine and DSG remap at DMS. This really isn’t the weather for ‘testing’ a high power FWD car, but safe to say the results feel pretty damn good so far!

Offline Andy198

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9934 on: 22 January 2020, 14:35 »
Cheers gents, my last car was about 32psi so was a bit surprised too. I only went 400yds at the higher pressure just to make sure the light didn’t come back on again. I’ll give it a proper run and probably lower them to 38 or 36 to find the sweet spot. Thx 👍🏾
GTI PP Mk7.5 with DCC, Sunroof, Brescias / BBS SR & 90% Tints

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9935 on: 22 January 2020, 17:02 »
As sad as it is . had to use my always clean GTI on a 100 plus mile trip .As the responsible adult needed my C1 pool car .

Ive never seen it so bad and had  give a lift to a soap dodger .. to rub the salt litterly in the wounds

Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #9936 on: 23 January 2020, 08:03 »
It has been a progressive couple of weeks for the GTI - TCR spoiler installed last week, CSS rear muffler and Turbo Technics intake + drop-in filter yesterday and Clubsport rear diffuser today.

Nice upgrades. I looked at the CSS rear backbox too, The larger tips look so much better too as well as the sound increase.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9937 on: 23 January 2020, 16:00 »
It has been a progressive couple of weeks for the GTI - TCR spoiler installed last week, CSS rear muffler and Turbo Technics intake + drop-in filter yesterday and Clubsport rear diffuser today.

Nice upgrades. I looked at the CSS rear backbox too, The larger tips look so much better too as well as the sound increase.

The bigger tips is the only reason why I went for it really, the sound is just a bonus.

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9938 on: 23 January 2020, 16:45 »

Cars looking really great Ryan, how was the diffuser to fit, is it an easy fix

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #9939 on: 23 January 2020, 18:31 »
Cheers, watchdog. The diffuser was an absolute pig of a job tbh and I've got the cuts and bumps to prove it 😂