Author Topic: GTI PP Front brake calliper paint  (Read 265 times)

Offline A-Kai

• Just got here
GTI PP Front brake calliper paint
« on: 21 April 2024, 11:44 »
Hi all,

So I just got back from a European road trip (and wow our UK roads are genuinely terrible). However, you can imagine my surprise when I walk out to my car this morning and notice that the paint from the front left brake calliper has decided to stay in France (probably).

It seems the paint bubbled and chipped off the calliper. Does anyone have any advice on what paint I can buy to respray the section of the calliper? It’s only about 2-3cm in diameter but noticeable. Ideally, I’d like to avoid taking off the calliper completely and just mask off everything and spray the section I need to.

I also have VW warranty but I doubt this is covered. Any advice would be most appreciated!

(2019 GTI PP by the way)

Thank you!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: GTI PP Front brake calliper paint
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2024, 12:39 »
If the paint has bubbled, then that could suggest they’ve been repainted by a previous owner with an unsuitable paint - i.e. one that’s not able to withstand high temperatures as the calipers will get hot as a result of brakes usage. Assuming they have been repainted, then the calipers might not have been prepped prior to repainting.

I don’t think your warranty will cover it. Assuming your warranty is VW’s Approved Used warranty, then it’s a mechanical and electrical warranty covering sudden and unexpected failure of mechanical and electrical components. Paintwork is part of the ‘bodywork’ definition and bodywork is a specific exclusion.

I’d suggest you use a high temperature paint when repainting them or a paint that’s specifically designed to be used on brake calipers. It might also be worth watching a few ‘how to’ YouTube videos on the best way to prep and paint them.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2024, 12:53 »
Last time i did mine i used TechniQ Brake Caliper paint. I cant read the tin properly as paint has run down the side of the can but it looks like - Atomic Red

Offline A-Kai

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2024, 17:50 »
If the paint has bubbled, then that could suggest they’ve been repainted by a previous owner with an unsuitable paint - i.e. one that’s not able to withstand high temperatures as the calipers will get hot as a result of brakes usage. Assuming they have been repainted, then the calipers might not have been prepped prior to repainting.

I don’t think your warranty will cover it. Assuming your warranty is VW’s Approved Used warranty, then it’s a mechanical and electrical warranty covering sudden and unexpected failure of mechanical and electrical components. Paintwork is part of the ‘bodywork’ definition and bodywork is a specific exclusion.

I’d suggest you use a high temperature paint when repainting them or a paint that’s specifically designed to be used on brake calipers. It might also be worth watching a few ‘how to’ YouTube videos on the best way to prep and paint them.

High temp paint - got it! Any ideas what brand would do the job? And I think you’re right with the “badly prepped and re-painted” theory. See the picture below, it’s starting to bubble across so might need to strip the callipers out and repaint the unit.

Thank you! So Atomic Red is the colour then. Mind if I ask why you had to repaint yours?
Last time i did mine i used TechniQ Brake Caliper paint. I cant read the tin properly as paint has run down the side of the can but it looks like - Atomic Red

Is Atomic Red the exact colour name for the brake callipers? Also kind if I ask why you had to repaint yours? Is this a common occurrence?

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2024, 18:15 »
Where it says "GTI" is just a plate which presses into the caliper.

Part number 5G0698221.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2024, 18:20 »
High temp paint - got it! Any ideas what brand would do the job? And I think you’re right with the “badly prepped and re-painted” theory. See the picture below, it’s starting to bubble across so might need to strip the callipers out and repaint the unit.

I think I’d give TechniQ Brake Caliper paint a try as recommended by @watchdog. It withstands high temperatures and is available either in a tin to brush on or in aerosol form to spray on.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Big Col

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2024, 19:16 »
Where it says "GTI" is just a plate which presses into the caliper.

Part number 5G0698221.

thanks for this info

for some reason the lettering is fading on mine. Not sure if a previous owner has been over enthusiastic with cleaning products or something else caused it,
Current - 2019 Golf GTI
Previous, 2016 Golf GTD, 2014 Leon FR, 2010 Ibiza FR, 2006 Fabia vRS , various Vauxhalls

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2024, 20:03 »
I'd personally just respray the entire caliper. You'll never get a paint match on that, as the paint will have faded with heat over time and if you touch it in, it will just annoy you when you look at it next.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/