Author Topic: AUM 1.8T What setup have i got?  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Rg_

• Not said much yet
AUM 1.8T What setup have i got?
« on: 02 January 2017, 11:20 »
Trying to do a bit more work on my engine side of things now as I've always mainly focused on the looks of my cars mainly.

When I got the car the owner had done some bits already. All I know is that the car has got a dump valve,k&n panel filter,sports cat,and a remap, and different silicone hoses.

The car has always ran where but just want to know where i stand so i can keep going with it.

I don't know too much and I've been trying to do my research online but looks like it's had the dump valve relocated. And looks like the diverter valve is missing?

Any of you experts out there can you see from the pics what work has been done? Also recently I've noticed that the dump valve seems quieter and the car feels like it's down on power. When I squeeze the hose from the air box there's a hissing sound. I don't know where it's coming from?

IMG_1258 by Richard Gaona, on Flickr

IMG_1259 by Richard Gaona, on Flickr

IMG_1260 by Richard Gaona, on Flickr

IMG_1261 by Richard Gaona, on Flickr

IMG_1263 by Richard Gaona, on Flickr

IMG_1264 by Richard Gaona, on Flickr

« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 11:58 by Rg_ »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: AUM 1.8T What setup have i got?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2017, 12:30 »
Theyve but a dump valve on inplace of the recurce valve. Personally id get a recerc valve.
If its leaking air when you squeeze the intake id be looking at where theyve blankex the recirc off first.

The aum engine apparently doesnt take power well.
Its already got a ko3s so if you get it running right. Replace all vac hoses with silicone to elimenate any split vac lines then get it mapped

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2017, 16:38 »
Theyve but a dump valve on inplace of the recurce valve. Personally id get a recerc valve.
If its leaking air when you squeeze the intake id be looking at where theyve blankex the recirc off first.

The aum engine apparently doesnt take power well.
Its already got a ko3s so if you get it running right. Replace all vac hoses with silicone to elimenate any split vac lines then get it mapped
Any reason why you think the aum doesn't take power well as there is a few running over 350bhp and they can have launch control and a few other features mapped in that the agu can't due to older ecu   :smiley: I would also ditch that baileys d/v as you said for a standard item or forge  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 16:46 by barrym381 »

Offline Rg_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2017, 17:58 »
Yeah i think im going to upgrade all hoses to silicone. Got a fuel smell in the cabin when air con is on but i cant find any leaks...

So you would say get the dump valve back into the standard position up top with a recirc valve?

Will i have to replace the big blue hoses for this? Not sure what parts i would need.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2017, 19:11 »
Having it on the cold side of the cooler gives you a crisper noise. Id leave it there and get some 22mm silicone hose to go the intake pipe to the turbo. Id check if its 22mm it might be a little bigger.
Then just leave the blanking plug in the turbo outlet.

Offline Rg_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2017, 20:49 »
Have you got a picture of the exact bit areas you mean. Still learning haha.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2017, 21:48 »
Blue pipe going into the turbo just below the n75 valve and next to the puk.
Looks in your picture to be a copper bung. Thats where a recirc valve would be normally.
Thats where you need to put a pipe into from the cold side.

Offline Rg_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 January 2017, 00:19 »
Right i've got you. Thanks

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2017, 08:15 »
Personally I would completely lose that baileys dump valve and reatore the oem location and install a Forge 007/008P. If your already re-mapped id also use the yellow spring if stage 1.

You already have silicone boost hoses, and the ones you have fitted are from creation motorsports I used to have the same ones on my 1.8t when I owned it.

The air leak you are hearing is ether most likely where the previous owner has attempted to blank off the old DV locations and it has failed, or the TIP (turbo inlet pipe, the big blue one on the airbox) the bottom of that pipe connects directly to the turbo, it may have come slightly lose and not be seated correctly (this happened to mine)

Personally I would restore how it is meant to be setup.

As for the fuel smell, this also happened to mine but i found that my fuel line (near the coolant bottle) had a slight split in it.
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Rg_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2017, 19:15 »
Thanks for the info. What's a yellow spring? And what's best 007 or 008?

Sorted the fuel smell. One of the lines wasn't pushed in enough near the coolant. Will I need much additional hosing to go back to one setup.