Author Topic: secondary air pump  (Read 6043 times)

Offline dhorsfall2000

• GTI forum regular
secondary air pump
« on: 27 January 2010, 13:06 »
Hi, can anyone tell me what the secondary air pump is for???

Offline Waffs1984

• I live here
  • Spacers are for chumps...
Re: secondary air pump
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2010, 14:00 »
Take it you have an AUM?

Its basically for warming the cat up to make it last longer and lower emissions on startup IIRC.
Mk4 GTi-T AUM l R-Tech Stage 1 l AP Coilovers l Forge 007p l New Style RS4's 18" l Toyo Proxies 4 l Hofele Bumper Grills l Silver Interior Trim l N249 Bypass l Front & Rear Powerflex bushes l Forge TIP l CAI l GolfGTi.co.uk Stickers l Catch Can Fitted & PCV System Deleted l Redstuff Rear Pads l More to come...

Offline BaV

• I live here
  • 2001 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2010, 16:31 »
Also does stuff while the car is running. Dont just remove it unless you are going to get it mapped out, car doesn't run the same.

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2010, 17:54 »
if you need a spare i got one :D

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2010, 21:50 »
As said it runs for no more than 90 seconds on a cold start to warm the cat up quicker. After that it does nothing! You can remove it but you have to fit a resistor somewhere in the wiring to fool the ECU in thinking it's still there. The is a link on uk-mkivs somewhere I think  :wink:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline BaV

• I live here
  • 2001 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2010, 22:25 »
As said it runs for no more than 90 seconds on a cold start to warm the cat up quicker. After that it does nothing! You can remove it but you have to fit a resistor somewhere in the wiring to fool the ECU in thinking it's still there. The is a link on uk-mkivs somewhere I think  :wink:

That is rubbish mate, have you ever done it or are you just passing on information you have read on forums?

I removed mine and the car was hesitating on boost and just generally not as fast or smooth.  If you remove it you need to get it mapped out as it clearly does something.  If you are not prepared to get it mapped out then dont do it.  Mine was bad enough that i had to go through the effort of putting it all back on.

On my new engine i am not going to have one as they are prety pointless but they DO need to be mapped out!
« Last Edit: 27 January 2010, 22:27 by BaV »

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2010, 22:28 »
and also needs blanking off with an sai delete plate to  :wink:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2010, 18:46 »

That is rubbish mate, have you ever done it or are you just passing on information you have read on forums?

I removed mine and the car was hesitating on boost and just generally not as fast or smooth.  If you remove it you need to get it mapped out as it clearly does something.  If you are not prepared to get it mapped out then dont do it.  Mine was bad enough that i had to go through the effort of putting it all back on.

On my new engine i am not going to have one as they are prety pointless but they DO need to be mapped out!

I am no expert mate. I still have it on my car and have no intention of taking it off. I did the repair job on it to stop it sounding like Concorde on start up!  :grin:
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack