Author Topic: Is manual mode different if you enter it from Drive or Sport?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
The guys over at VWROC reckon it does, but I'm not sure. I'm in a GTI

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
It's supposed to be different, but like you I'm not so sure. My reason being...

If I set my car to 'sport' mode and the gearbox is showing 'S', sitting with the engine at idle I can switch the lever/paddle to 'M' gears and the idle revs will drop, indicating it's not so eager and under a different RPM setting to Sport.

So I'm not convinced that Manual mode isn't just one setting, rather than being manual gears for each mode you may be in.

:huh:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Good question. I've wondered that but when S is engaged stationary and you flick over to M, the revs drop back the same as they do by going back to D. Sometimes have found myself engaging S before going to M but couldn't say if it's because it feels or is different.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
It's supposed to be different, but like you I'm not so sure. My reason being...

If I set my car to 'sport' mode and the gearbox is showing 'S', sitting with the engine at idle I can switch the lever/paddle to 'M' gears and the idle revs will drop, indicating it's not so eager and under a different RPM setting to Sport.

So I'm not convinced that Manual mode isn't just one setting, rather than being manual gears for each mode you may be in.

:huh:

You beat me to it!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline sjw

• I live here
Good question. I've wondered that but when S is engaged stationary and you flick over to M, the revs drop back the same as they do by going back to D. Sometimes have found myself engaging S before going to M but couldn't say if it's because it feels or is different.

Yup, I don't think there's a difference. The VWROC guys reckon that it is louder (valves open, which we don't have) and the gears change faster (why would there be a slow option?)

I have unplugged my soundaktor, so I can't test if that is any different, but I would be inclined to believe that that is the only way manual could be any different between the 2 modes

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here

Yup, I don't think there's a difference. The VWROC guys reckon that it is louder (valves open, which we don't have) and the gears change faster (why would there be a slow option?)

I have unplugged my soundaktor, so I can't test if that is any different, but I would be inclined to believe that that is the only way manual could be any different between the 2 modes

I have the res delete and some nights I leave work and it sounds louder than others, especially in S. But then it does make a really good noise in Eco as well but I don't often use it  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport