Author Topic: CarPlay changes coming with iOS 13  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
CarPlay changes coming with iOS 13
« on: 06 June 2019, 19:22 »
A quick overview of the changes coming up in September with iOS 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cu3V1kStno&feature=youtu.be

Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Beezer

• Not said much yet
Re: CarPlay changes coming with iOS 13
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2019, 19:41 »
Looks good. I just wish they could make it wireless over Bluetooth.

The mk7.5 has WiFi too so if that’s what is needed to make it work it’s a shame VW didn’t implement it.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2019, 19:49 »
Sound quality would suffer compared to a cabled connection.  Besides, the cable keeps your phone charged up while travelling/using Waze etc.  Can't remember the last time I've had to charge mine using the mains charger at home.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Beezer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2019, 20:05 »
Sound quality would suffer compared to a cabled connection.  Besides, the cable keeps your phone charged up while travelling/using Waze etc.  Can't remember the last time I've had to charge mine using the mains charger at home.

I do a lot of shortish journeys so I rarely plug my phone into the USB.

Wireless CarPlay exists it uses Bluetooth to handshake with your phone to tell it to connect over WiFi instead which I presume then doesn’t lose any quality.

Here’s a video of it running on the latest Audi MMI...
https://youtu.be/gNIm6eEFyek

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2019, 20:08 »
Yeah, its a real shame not having it wireless.  Its one of the things I will miss lots from the BMW when my TCR turns up.

As you say, cabled is fine for longer journeys, but its a pita for short hops.  Not sure what isn't present technically to restrict it?  I guess its one more thing they can advertise as an improvement with the MK8. 
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2019, 22:29 »
Think it only works over 5ghz WiFi and the current mib units don't have it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2019, 11:46 »
Looks good. I just wish they could make it wireless over Bluetooth.
It'll never work over bluetooth, bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to work Wireless CarPlay or Android Auto.

For wireless CarPlay BT is simply used to make the initial handshake, then it transfers to WiFi. For Wireless CarPlay to work the hardware needs to have both a Bluetooth MAC address and a WiFi MAC address.

MIB2 has a Bluetooth MAC address, but not a WiFi MAC address, so wireless CarPlay will never work on pre 7.5.

The only way to know if Wireless CarPlay will work with the 7.5 is to look on the back of the MIB3 headhunt to see if there's a WiFi MAC address. If there is then I'm fairly sure a VCDS tweak will possibly activate it. I've looked for pictures of a MIB3 sticker, but there's none out there at the moment.
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 12:07 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2019, 13:26 »
Of course there is a wifi mac address! A mac address is the hardware address of a network card...The 7.5 mib has both a wireless client (connects to carnet using a hotspot on your phone) and a wireless server (allowing occupants to connect to it and share the internet connection of the phone thats connected with the wireless client).

What it doesn't have is the software to make it work - the ACP code on the mib needs updating to a newer one. This sort of enhancement is well beyond VAG's desire to implement. You want some new features on your utterly reprogrammable unix based MIB unit? Yes sir, thats available in the Mk8 Golf, coming soon.

I've said it numerous times before, its like Xbox offering a new game, but only if you buy another xbox to run it on, only a hundred times more expensive.

Its about time car manufacturers actually embraced the world of software. Even getting to last century would be great, let alone dev ops!
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 13:30 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2019, 10:01 »
To be fair, VW probably have to pay Apple for the privilege of Wireless CarPlay and it just doesn’t make financial sense to start dishing it out for free to an existing model when they can absorb the cost on the Mk8 and probably test it much more extensively.

Wireless charging is a must-have if you’re using Wireless CarPlay so that’s even more reason to push it back to the Mk8 and either bundle it as an extra together or make them both standard.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2019, 18:33 »
I think I read / heard somewhere that BMW have some kind of exclusivity on wireless CarPlay? I may have dreamt it, but its interesting that both VW and Audi (afaik) still rely on a wired connection, even on the newest and top end models.

I've experienced it in BMW and it really makes CarPlay come into its own. It just "works" when you get into the car, no faffing around with cables. There is no difference in sound quality, it sounds perfect (to me). I'd say there is an impact on battery for sure, but not something you'd notice on short journeys. On longer journeys you'd probably plug in to charge anyway (or use the wireless charger!)
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.