Author Topic: Wheel offset question  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wheel offset question
« Reply #10 on: 07 June 2019, 13:09 »
Here’s my GTI from 2013/4 when I briefly ran the BBS CK’s I had on my mk6 GTI’s on my Mk7.

These were 8x19 ET44 which fitted quite flush on the mk6 but allowed a bit of elbow room with the mk7 which has slightly bigger arches at the front and much bigger at the rear. Bear in mind the mk6 is basically a Mk5.
I’ve also run 8” wide and ET41 on a mk7 which fit fine at the front. ET35 will be very very tight for clearance if using 235 tyres.
The rears are no problem, ET35 easily swallowed and will sit nice and flush.
I’d be VERY wary of using ET35 on track on the fronts. A set of different track wheels would be my choice. Or at least a pair for the fronts with a slightly higher offset.

If you want some more shots of how the CK’s look on the mk7 I have a few more.
To be honest I think they suited the mk6 far better (they were the perfect wheel for the mk6).

In your shoes I’d be getting 18” BORBET FF1 in ET45 front and ET35 rear with 225/40/18 tyres.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GTI_Daz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2019, 15:24 »
Looks ver smart mate. I agree. Arches being bigger on the mk7 do make the fronts look lost a bit but they still look nice. There was a mk5 r32 at the ring with the chrome version of the cks. They looked really nice hence why I was looking at them.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2019, 17:13 »
fallout 2 best companion

I only kept the CK’s on the mk7 a very short time. They suited the more rounded shape of the Mk5/6 much better. I won’t bore everyone with photos of them on my previous cars!

I replaced them with a more OEM looking wheel as the mk7 is a fussy design when it comes to wheels.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Clubsport S

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 08 June 2019, 11:04 »
They do look really nice. I would be going up to 19s though so I think they would rub the hell out of the arches. I'll have a look for a better offset. These just seemed a bargain. I made the same mistake with my mk5. One nurburgring trip with the wrong offset is enough for one lifetime  :rolleyes:

Daz, if you go for 19s, you'll be running a lower profile tyre. The size difference between the rim + tyre will need to be worked out, I reckon you'd only be actually about half an inch bigger. Something to bear in mind, anyway

I've been considering getting some BBS CHR's for a little while. Thinking they will for the short term go on the 2017 Audi S3 but then afterwards onto the GTI. I had to order some tyres this week, and went for the PS4S 235/35 R19. Think the Audi standard offset is a 49 and the Pretoria's on the Golf are a 50. Both 19's.

The CHR seems to only be available in an 8.5 (for a 19). Looking at the BBS configurator this seems to suggest either a 32 or 43 offset. Demon Tweeks are suggesting a 48 offset. Is it the case that going to an 8.5 will need a 225 profile tyre?

Struggling to understand what offset would be best and would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 June 2019, 12:06 »
225 is not the profile, that is the width in mm which would be very stretched over a 8.5j wheel.

Profile is the smaller number after the width, expressed as a percentage of the width. Therefore in the case of 235/35/19, the width is 235mm and the profile is the height of the tyre wall (35% of 235mm = 82.25mm). You may need to go for a lower profile with wider tyres or you'll be increasing the circumference of the tyres, you'll be more prone to rubbing and your speedometer will be out slightly.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 12:30 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 June 2019, 12:46 »
The CHR seems to only be available in an 8.5 (for a 19). Looking at the BBS configurator this seems to suggest either a 32 or 43 offset. Demon Tweeks are suggesting a 48 offset. Is it the case that going to an 8.5 will need a 225 profile tyre?

Struggling to understand what offset would be best and would appreciate some help.

Thanks

The calculator on www.willtheyfit.com that I posted a link to in reply #1 in this discussion thread will calculate all the important differences between your current wheel/tyre set up and any new wheels/tyres you’re thinking of fitting. It’ll calculate the impact on suspension and bodywork clearances of fitting wheels of a different width / with a different offset, and the impact on rolling radius and speedo error from fitting different size tyres. You just need to input a few basic details into the calculator.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2019, 11:37 »

I've been considering getting some BBS CHR's for a little while. Thinking they will for the short term go on the 2017 Audi S3 but then afterwards onto the GTI. I had to order some tyres this week, and went for the PS4S 235/35 R19. Think the Audi standard offset is a 49 and the Pretoria's on the Golf are a 50. Both 19's.

Thanks

I’m not up to speed on A3’s of this generation but the RS3 has narrower tyres on the rear as standard than the front (225 vs 235 front) which suggests the S3 is the opposite of the GTI having less rear wheelarch space.
Neither of the lower offset CHR’s will fit Golf arches I’d think if using 8.5” width. Certainly at the front.
8.5 x 19 would fit a 7/7.5 if using 48 offset but would likely need the wheel arch liner tucked at the front especially if lowered.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner