Author Topic: Wheel offset question  (Read 5202 times)

Offline GTI_Daz

• Not said much yet
Wheel offset question
« on: 06 June 2019, 15:15 »
Looking at some Bbs ck wheels for my mk7 gti. The offset on the standard wheel I believe is et49? The bbs I'm looking at are et35. Going from 18inch to 19inch if I'm not mistaken does that mean effectively I will have a 14mm wheel spacer on? Pushing the bbs out a lot. Is this too much? Sorry for the naiive question. Thanks

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Wheel offset question
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2019, 15:45 »
The lower the offset number the further the wheel face protrudes outwards, so with an offset of ET35, you’re unlikely to need to add spacers. You need to consider more than just the offset though, width of the wheel also needs to be considered.

If you put the wheel width, offset and tyre size information of your current wheels/tyres and the BBS CK’s into the offset calculator at the link below, it’ll calculate the clearance differences; current v’s new wheels;

https://www.willtheyfit.com/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline GTI_Daz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2019, 17:03 »
Brilliant cheers  :smiley:

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2019, 17:13 »
Hi GTI_Daz, I have ET35 offset BBS wheels (albeit 18" SR) on my Clubsport (see pic). They do fill the arches nicely and there is no rubbing for me.

However I had them on a previous GTI that was lowered on Eibach Pro springs and there was rubbing on the front going over uneven surfaces. You can do a mod with the wheel arch lining screws to reduce this but it's something to bear in mind if you are going to lower it.

GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline GTI_Daz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2019, 17:41 »
They do look really nice. I would be going up to 19s though so I think they would rub the hell out of the arches. I'll have a look for a better offset. These just seemed a bargain. I made the same mistake with my mk5. One nurburgring trip with the wrong offset is enough for one lifetime  :rolleyes:

Offline dubvrs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2019, 21:50 »
I run 19 x 8.5 et35 with a 225/35/19 tyre lowered on coilovers. No rubbing on the rear and rub on the front if I go over a big bump with the wheels turned.

Offline GTI_Daz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2019, 23:21 »
Pretty much same sizes I'm after that mate. Looks really well that. Cheers for the advice

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2019, 10:01 »
I'm running 19 x 8.5 ET46 BBS SR rims with 235/35 R19 lowered on Eibach Sportline springs.

It rubbed on compression on the front until I did the fender screw mod but not once since I did it.

The 9.5 width and ET46 give a perfectly flush front wheel and the rear (if you were being really picky) could do with a 5mm spacer, although be careful with BBS wheels as mine state that you shouldn't run spacers with them due to the way the centering rings are fitted to the wheels.

Struggling to add photos (as I'm at work) but here's a link to an image of mine on a google search...

https://images.app.goo.gl/8dxcvsLNZmF7Ajrx5
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2019, 11:29 »
They do look really nice. I would be going up to 19s though so I think they would rub the hell out of the arches. I'll have a look for a better offset. These just seemed a bargain. I made the same mistake with my mk5. One nurburgring trip with the wrong offset is enough for one lifetime  :rolleyes:

Daz, if you go for 19s, you'll be running a lower profile tyre. The size difference between the rim + tyre will need to be worked out, I reckon you'd only be actually about half an inch bigger. Something to bear in mind, anyway

Offline GTI_Daz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 June 2019, 11:50 »
Yeah I figured as much with the lower profile tyre. It's the offset I struggled with I never bothered with it on my mk5 and had so many issues. It was lowered on eibach sport lines too. They were off an a4 last time and I didn't consider the offset. I'm older and little more wiser now. That and the mk7 was a tad more expensive I don't want to ruin anything. We do the Nurburgring trip yearly and the polizei over there are getting stricter with the lowered cars. I know I will eventually have to get a full coilover kit as opposed to just springs I had previously but I didn't want to ruin the car with a silly offset. All the advice is much appreciated. Cheers