Author Topic: Emergency SOS display icon on!!  (Read 12574 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Emergency SOS display icon on!!
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2019, 20:13 »
I collected mine 6 weeks ago and when I was being given the handover chat and I learnt about the sim card I asked for it to be removed..........the technicians at Chester apparently said it couldn't be.......well now you've pointed out this I'm on my way in this week to get it removed.
It’s not a physical SIM card, it’s an eSIM, which is why it is very difficult to remove. The receiver chip also talks to other circuitry that will need to be disabled.

Why anybody would want it removed though is beyond me.  :huh:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2019, 20:35 »
You're right I wouldn't eant anything removed just want tje Emergency SOS icon removed I'm happy to dial VW emergency services on my phone. Every time the alert has come on the audio and dashboard I've not had a customer rep speak to me via this facility.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2019, 20:44 »
And just noticed the sat nav isn't working "Navigation database not available "!not sure if this is linked to the "emergency SOS"

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2019, 21:09 »
I collected mine 6 weeks ago and when I was being given the handover chat and I learnt about the sim card I asked for it to be removed..........the technicians at Chester apparently said it couldn't be.......well now you've pointed out this I'm on my way in this week to get it removed.
It’s not a physical SIM card, it’s an eSIM, which is why it is very difficult to remove. The receiver chip also talks to other circuitry that will need to be disabled.

Why anybody would want it removed though is beyond me.  :huh:

Interesting.....thanks for the information.

My reasons for wanting it removed are mainly it's too much big brother.....your every move can literally be recorded and monitored.....whether VW do or do not I don't know but I suspect it's one way they can track how their cars are used to enable designers to downgrade mechanical components if "the typical customers"  just potters along........no idea if this happens but one thing is for sure if that's data is available someone will use it to suit their needs.

I also don't like the fact it's been forced on the end user, ....I don't need an sos feature nor do I need to be able to access the car remotely via my mobile.....if I'm that interested in my last journeys stats I can always remember them or even walk back out to the garage.

Years ago I attended a week long training course ( I'm a control system engineer)  about microwave transmissions from mobile phones.....they were analogue signals then, and the upshot was that the microwave radiation given off my mobiles was amplified in a car.....the transmission  signals reflect off the metal surfaces to amplify the users exposure.....I guess this is what the installed sim is doing in the car. Should I choose not to use my own mobile phone in my car I can drop it into flight mode......I have the choice......this VW system takes away that choice.

Not too mention  as the OP mentioned to have the system alarm when it's lost it's signal is just plain ridiculous

............you did ask  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2019, 07:16 »
I think people are over reacting to something they know little to nothing about. Research exactly what it does and how it works and then decide if you want to tamper with it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2019, 07:17 »
And just noticed the sat nav isn't working "Navigation database not available "!not sure if this is linked to the "emergency SOS"
try removing the SD card and re inserting it, I highly doubt it is linked to the SOS feature.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2019, 07:55 »

When jacking the car up to change the wheels the car alarm activated. I received both a text and an email within 5 minutes from VW making me aware that the car had been moved/lifted. Is this linked to the sim card?  I thought it was excellent to be notified and so quick.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2019, 08:29 »

When jacking the car up to change the wheels the car alarm activated. I received both a text and an email within 5 minutes from VW making me aware that the car had been moved/lifted. Is this linked to the sim card?  I thought it was excellent to be notified and so quick.
Yes, it's part of the 'safety & security' package that became standard from MY19>.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 03 June 2019, 12:59 »
[

Thanks removed the SD card sat nav is fine

Car booked in for Thursday for SOS :smiley:ote author=mcmaddy link=topic=285198.msg2606451#msg2606451 date=1559542663]
try removing the SD card and re inserting it, I highly doubt it is linked to the SOS feature.
[/quote]

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 03 June 2019, 13:45 »
The SOS system is called "eCall" and its an EU directive effective for all new vehicles from 31st March 2018.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/security-and-emergencies/emergency-assistance-vehicles-ecall/index_en.htm#shortcut-2-compulsory-for-new-car-models

One of the requirements:

If the eCall system fails, you'll get a warning indication

You are allowed to disable it under EU directives...

The eCall system does not transmit your position except when the air bags are deployed by an accident.

You do have of course a VW CarNet system onboard which is different. Full details of VW's scope of data collection and your agreement for their use of it are contained in the documentation of the car.

Being a German company, the easiest way of disabling any potential data gathering is simply to write to VW's GDPR controller and tell them that under GDPR you revoke their right to the data. They will jump, they will jump high and fast.

BTW I hope that you don't have a android or apple phone - those things record far more about you than VW ever would...particularly if you use certain apps and you cannot stop that from happening short of not having a smart phone.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC