Author Topic: Why is leasing so hard? Any recommendations please?  (Read 4168 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Hi, forgive the rant but my exasperation has boiled over.
I've been trying to lease a 5dr GTI DSG and spent hours and hours on the phone in the last few days to countless lease companies and brokers. I thought it would be straightforward.

This afternoon my frustration piqued. I keep seeing cars available online for a price in my budget, I ring up to ask for a quote only to be told again, and again and again, "Ok, that car which shows as In Stock online, isn't, sorry. We only had 1 and it went an hour ago". All responses similar to this.
Finally, yesterday I had a dealer that swore to me he had one available in my second choice colour (indium grey). It would be another £20 a month because the stock white I wanted had all sold out but at this point I didn't care. I instantly filled all the paperwork out. It was sent off for finance approval and I got a call just now to say by the time my application had got to the top of the pile, the car had gone.
There are hundreds, literally one company told me, of manuals around but no DSGs (unless you pay above market rate which is really out of my budget). Apparently VW are running a campaign to shift the manuals. Does this mean they would deliberately hold the DSGs back from the lease market?
I was furious earlier this afternoon, now just very disappointed and disillusioned.

Are there any niche lease companies anyone can recommend? Or any tips on getting there first.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Why is leasing so hard? Any recommendations please?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2019, 17:18 »
Leasing is hard when you are going for a particular car on offer. The lease companies or brokers all get access to the same deals which might be for a limited amount of stock so it’s first come first served. According to brokers I know, a lot of the online companies advertise knowing they won’t get stock but get your enquiry and try to sell you another deal.

Best bet is find a local broker who normally don’t charge admin fees and tell them what you want. They’ll normally match or get close to the online deals.

Not sure about DSG but could well be getting rid of the manuals as you can’t order manual now. I’ve been into two dealers recently and both had manual 3rd in the showroom.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2019, 17:19 »
Most brokers are 'bait and switch' and/or work with a dealer group to shift stock, so they're generally best avoided unless you are quick or lucky.

My advice - go direct. Go into a main dealer from a large group such as Inchcape or Lookers etc, tell them exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay from the outset. They can/will then search their group stock (and also what's coming from VW) to find cars, and if something fits your bill you can take it. I did this with a Match Edition for my ex back in 2016, brokers gave me the run around, so I went to my local dealer (Lookers) and they price matched on a stock car I picked up a week later.

From memory, you've been looking for a while, and as we come to the end of the 7.5 your choices will get less and less, so if you see something, act on it.

The guy who sold (I bought but they also do lease) me my GTI is excellent and works for an Inchape dealer (one of the biggest in the country) so if you want me to put you in touch with him to check stock, let me know.

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 31 May 2019, 17:24 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2019, 17:52 »
Thanks both, I'll try my local dealers direct. I started off using carwow and whatcar who found the deals and then went to more and more leasing companies.
Case in point, just now had a message from Neva Direct: "Great news John, we've just had a another batch of GTIs become available". Me: "You're going to tell me they're all manuals aren't you?". Neva: "Let me check...yes...every single one is a manual. How did you know?". I've nothing against manuals but have never driven a DSG before and have my heart set on one.
@kmpowell, yes please, are you able to PM me details?

Thanks

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2019, 17:58 »
Both my lease cars were ordered from main dealers. Both were factory orders, but both were for the advertised price, or less than the advertised price by haggling and playing them off against each other. You probably won't be charged an admin fee either. Just show them your best quote and see what they can do.

I don't know what offers you've had, but none of the offers i've seen recently have been that great.  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2019, 18:13 »
@kmpowell, yes please, are you able to PM me details?
Message sent.

You probably won't be charged an admin fee either.
This is true. VW dealers don't charge the admin fee, so make sure you don't work on the basic cpm figure, it's the amortised CPM figure including the upfront 3/6/9 plus admin fees etc, that counts.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2019, 21:06 »
LOL. Another broker has contacted me. He has one grey DSG available. Not none, or 3 or 5. Just one.
I've applied in hope tonight but will follow up with main dealers tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2019, 21:26 by trueblue_ips »

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2019, 21:18 »
What sort of deals u being offered? My GTi deal ends in Nov and I would happily take another.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2019, 21:36 »
What sort of deals u being offered? My GTi deal ends in Nov and I would happily take another.

I'm trying to stay below £300 a month, paying 9 months up front.
Prices were consistently around the £270-£280 mark which is affordable to me. That's based on a 5K mileage as I do low miles.
I was told by all the lease companies that this was an amazing VW limited special deal and to order immediately. I thought this was just sales patter but still ordered anyway as it was affordable.  Every single company has let me down.

Prices are now around £350 a month for the same deal. Over the term, that's quite a bit more for a lease.
I have no benchmark though  as to what is good and what is bad.

The broker that let me down on the GTI has offered me an R now for £340 a month. Again, just one available and I need to sign up immediately to get it. The R is a great car and that does seem a good price but I specifically wanted a GTI for reasons I won't bore people with  :rolleyes:

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2019, 14:13 »
Ok, update:

Golf GTI is gone (unless I pay way above market rate). 

I can choose between an R pre-enhanced (without keyless and rear camera), R enhanced (with both options), or Cupra 290.

The R is around £300 a month with another £30 for the enhanced. The Cupra seems cheap at £200 a month.

TCO for the Cupra is cheaper by £3-4K over just 2 years.

However, it doesn't have the digital dash which I really wanted, plus a few other options. I want something that's more at the comfort end of the performance/comfort compromise and the Cupra has a firmer ride with 19" wheels I am told.

Cost is of course a factor but I want comfort in a small hatchback with decent performance and lots of toys. Also, just looking for a 2 year lease for now before the Mk8 comes out.

Any suggestions as to whether the Cupra or R is a better fit?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 04 June 2019, 14:19 by trueblue_ips »