Author Topic: Help! - excess mileage charge  (Read 1367 times)

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
Help! - excess mileage charge
« on: 30 May 2019, 09:47 »
Hi, can someone confirm I've understood my numbers correctly on a lease deal?

The difference between 5000 miles pa and 8000 miles pa is an extra £24 a month which is an extra £288 a year.

The excess mileage charge is 8p per mile. So if I exceed the 5000 miles limit, by say 3000 miles, I pay 3000*8 pence which is £240.

Also, the 9 month upfront payment is cheaper by 9*£24 with the 5000 cap.

Surely, I'm better off going for the 5000 mile deal and paying the excess - not that I expect to do more than 5000 miles BTW.

Have I missed something? I was going to play it safe and go for the higher limit but that seems to make  no sense.

Thanks

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
Re: Help! - excess mileage charge
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 09:54 »
Sounds correct to me.

I do about 15K a year, but doing the maths in the same way you have, it was cheaper for me to go with 10K a year and pay the excess.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 09:55 »
You’ve not missed anything, no.

Sometimes it’s cheaper to pay the excess mileage charge at the end of the lease. I did just that on a Match Edition I got my ex back in 2016. The mileage excess was 6ppm, and cheaper to pay that on top of the 5k a year, than it was to get the car on 8k a year.

The saving wasn’t a huge amount, but when leasing I take the principle that every pound counts as the car will never be mine.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 10:02 »
Thanks both. I wanted to check quickly as I just need to get the car ordered now as anything that becomes available seems to disappear very quickly.
Just waiting for a call back from the broker now to confirm availability in my chosen colour.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 15:30 »
If you've got a lease with maintenance included, the excess mileage charge is much much higher. My OH's Qashqui (she likes it) is aroud 8p a mile without the maintenance but 44p a mile with it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2019, 15:59 »
7p per mile excess with maintenance included on my bargain
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2019, 06:47 »
The excess mileage charges are normally subject to VAT which might change your calculations a bit.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias