Author Topic: LV Insurance excess on new windscreen  (Read 2180 times)

Offline robtt

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf Gti pp dsg
LV Insurance excess on new windscreen
« on: 29 May 2019, 18:38 »
Had a chip which wasn’t repairable. Autoglass then fitted a new screen and I found out the excess with LV was £140.00 ! I asked the technician how much other insurance companies charged and it is @£70.00. So when renewal comes up ,it’s worth seeing just how much that windscreen excess is going to be .

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: LV Insurance excess on new windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 19:13 »
It’s always worth checking details such as excess levels and cover restrictions when getting an an alternative insurance quote or moving to another insurer at renewal. The fact that LV now have a £140 glass excess might be an indication of the way the market is moving and other insurers may also increase their excesses over the coming months. Was your replacement windscreen a genuine OEM screen with the VW logo in the bottom driver’s side corner or a non OEM screen? If the former, that might be why they applied higher than the ‘normal’ glass excess of around £70 that most other insurers currently have.

The obvious thing to do when shopping for motor insurance is to compare premiums, but the reason one insurer’s quote is better than other insurers could be due to things like excess levels, more restrictive cover, no courtesy car provided etc.

I stayed with my current insurer this year at renewal. They weren’t the cheapest on premium, but when I got alternative quotes on comparison sites and adjusted things like excess levels and courtesy car so the alternative quotes were pretty much on a like for like basis with my existing cover, there wasn’t much in it premium-wise.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

dervy

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 22:06 »
I’m with LV and had an OEM replacement windscreen fitted in January, my excess was £90. Can’t help but wonder if claims for windscreens are increasing. It was suggested to me that the glass in cars is thinner than it once was in order to reduce weight/emissions.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2019, 22:57 »
I think a combination of thinner glass in cars, combined with the poor state of roads in general (so more loose road debris from pot holes, cheap surface dressing method of resurfacing roads) will probably mean the frequency of windscreen claims has increased, so costing insurers more.

If insurers are seeing more windscreen claims, increasing the glass replacement excess levels is an easy way for them to recoup some of their additional outlay.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2019, 13:37 »
I’m with LV and any replacement glass is £140 excess. So windscreen and side windows.

Think as windscreens get harder to fit with all the tech sensors and cameras there is no wonder excess for new screens is increasing. Think a replacement for certain lambos and Ferrari’s runs into the thousands.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2019, 17:51 »
The calibration is £300 on its own, but when I looked into insuring I noticed LG was way more expensive than anybody else on excess, but cheap on price, I got it for £75 in the end