Author Topic: Remap Query (Already remapped)  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Zmithy

• Just got here
Remap Query (Already remapped)
« on: 28 May 2019, 13:55 »
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help, I know its not the easiest to answer over a keyboard but its worth a try. I've done a quick search and cannot seem to see something.

I've driven plenty of MK7 GTI's over the years, and due to the turbo you get that kick of torque as the turbo spools up. However I've recently picked up a MK7 GTI that Ive been told is remapped (no idea by who) and it has a THUMP of torque at just over 2k revs, but it plateaus out very quickly and I'm finding I need to change gear to get moving again, this is well before 6k revs.

I've gotten to the point where I put my foot down the tiniest bit and the torque hits, but its not smooth and it doesn't particularly feel drive-able, its not controllable and its pretty much all or nothing. A few years ago I had a Fabia vRS and was involved on the Forums, it was common knowledge that Revo used to give more of a torque kick but were ruining clutches, where other companies such as Shark at the time did a lot smoother maps.

My question is, does this sound like I could have a 'Revo' style map, and are there any maps out there that are alot smooter with a more 'driveable' torque curve? I'm happy to have less power, just want a more enjoyable drive.

Tar!
« Last Edit: 28 May 2019, 15:32 by Zmithy »

Offline martininwillerby

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTD DSG
Re: Remap Query (Already remapped)
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2019, 14:29 »
Hi...

Not sure how to answer your question other than to say not all remaps are equal and done correctly.
if you can get yourself to West Yorkshire Tuning in bradford they will be able to analyse the map and correct it if it's wrong.
give them a quick call or look on face book.

hope that helps
Golf GTD DSG, RSN510, DAB, Bluetooth, Leather, 18" Charleston Shadows, Park Assist And In The Best Colour... White.
Martininwillerby

Offline Zmithy

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2019, 15:00 »

Hi...

Not sure how to answer your question other than to say not all remaps are equal and done correctly.
if you can get yourself to West Yorkshire Tuning in bradford they will be able to analyse the map and correct it if it's wrong.
give them a quick call or look on face book.

hope that helps

That definitely would help, are they able to analyse any map, or only ones provided by them?

It just seems that the map is instantaneous, there is no linear motion to the pedal. Just all or nothing.

Offline pendulum1997

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2019, 19:13 »
Try sending an email off to all the big off the shelf mapping companies like APR and REVO, if you include your VIN they can tell you if the car is on their system, also check there's no pedal boxes or piggybacks hiding anywhere like a DTUK or a JB4!
2014 3 door Manual Carbon Grey GTI
18x8.5 Konig Hypergrams, Various OBD11 tweaks.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2019, 06:36 »
It sounds like an unknown quantity that could be doing more harm than good. I'd get the dealers to flash it back to stock, then start from square one.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Zmithy

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2019, 09:16 »
It sounds like an unknown quantity that could be doing more harm than good. I'd get the dealers to flash it back to stock, then start from square one.

I think this is a good shout, start at the beginning and get it mapped by a reputable company that I have done research on.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2019, 11:07 »
For what my (unmapped) opinion is worth, I gather Revo is much better than they were now, and it is APR who are going for the peak  numbers. However, even they are trying now to dial it back in a bit, and add power in different ways to get a nicer curve.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2019, 15:21 »
Also, could you not check the V5 for the last owners details and drop them a line and ask what remap it is?

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2019, 00:45 »
Ex Briskoda, Fabia vRS, shark remap owner here  :cool:

The good old days...

Haven't remapped my GTi yet but I think it's on the cards, I'm starting to get bored.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2019, 07:50 »
Also, could you not check the V5 for the last owners details and drop them a line and ask what remap it is?

I don’t think the previous registered keeper’s details are shown on the V5 registration document any longer - deleted for Data Protection Act reasons.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl