Author Topic: My test drive  (Read 4862 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: My test drive
« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2019, 11:16 »
Best thing to do regarding engine noise is to turn the soundaktor off completely via OBDeleven. No fake engine noise =  :laugh:

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2019, 11:39 »
The accelerator response.  Seemed a bit random. I could definitely detect turbo lag but it seemed more than that. One minute it was very responsive, the next I pushed on the accelerator and nothing seemed to happen.
I think what you were experiencing was how the DSG gearbox actually works, nothing more than that. The DSG box takes a bit of time to get used too, and you have to game/know it to get the best from it if you aren't in manual mode. I first had DSG in an RS4 (albeit Audi call it S-Tronic) and I was initially very disappointed as I expected the shifts to be instantaneous regardless of what the engine was doing, but once you live with DSG and understand how it works and what it needs, it all becomes clear.

For example, if you are in 'auto', revs dropping down slowly and you're off the accelerator, then the gearbox is ready with the next gear it 'thinks' you'll need. If you suddenly stamp on the accelerator, it'll hesitate, select the gear you now actually need, and off you go. All this will take a bit of time, and cause momentary hesitation. DSG can do this quicker than any other 'Auto' box, but it can't defy the laws of physics. On top of this, depending on which mode (Eco, Comfort, Normal or Sport) you have the car in will further increase/decrease the hesitation.

If you're wanting the ultimate gear shifts from a GTI (or any performance DSG equipped car), then it's best in 'manua'l mode, you are in control of the shifts and gears, and it brings your driving ability/connection with the car.

:smiley:

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2019, 12:00 »
I waited almost 6 months for my 14 plate GTD... I can see GTI order books opening maybe June 2020 and the first cars in the UK maybe Just before Christmas 2020....

And as others have said, the spec won't be clear and exactly what any of the newly created options actually do (or don't do) won't be apparent until people on here start explaining what they do after their own cars have been received.

Then just when everyone starts getting their cars, the MY21 will come out, which then will include as standard loads of things people spent money on options for before...

That's based on what happened with the Mk7 and I can't see it being any different on the Mk8.

I would say if you can avoid ordering a Mk8 until Summer 2021 then you will be probably better off.

Agree with this completely

I was a relatively early adopter of the MK7 ordering a GTD May 2013 and receiving September 2013 on a 63 plate and though there was a few being driven by that order time the information as to what was best to option was still on everyone learning curve

For example most people were referencing the previous DCC and it was not worth having where as it became clearer that the MK 7 was new technology on the DCC, a v2, and was much more active and made a tangible difference

Think most of the unknowns will be in the new interior and connected technology with much of the MK 7 advancements in drive being a carry over.

Unless have to, or burningly wish to, I would wait 12 months and assess the landscape of the MK 8 before taking the plunge as it will be an informed jump in

I have happily signed up for another 3 years of the MK 7 - GTD > R > TCR to make 9 in all when that cycle completes - Just felt this last run out model is top of the curve.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2019, 13:44 »
Think most of the unknowns will be in the new interior and connected technology with much of the MK 7 advancements in drive being a carry over.

The Mk8 is going to be all about the technology - whether you are a fan of such things or not, its the way of the modern high end car now.

VAG (and others) now have two things in clear sight:

1) Fully automated vehicles
2) The end of carbon power

Both are coming, maybe as soon as 2025... if not then a little bit after that.

The Mk8 is an important stepping stone towards that goal, as such, expect the advancement to be significant. If you expect something else, you are wrong.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2019, 14:35 »

The Mk8 is going to be all about the technology - whether you are a fan of such things or not, its the way of the modern high end car now.

VAG (and others) now have two things in clear sight:

1) Fully automated vehicles
2) The end of carbon power

Both are coming, maybe as soon as 2025... if not then a little bit after that.

The Mk8 is an important stepping stone towards that goal, as such, expect the advancement to be significant. If you expect something else, you are wrong.

Sadly think you are spot on and feel that staying with the TCR is more a stay of execution from the fast coming fly by wire driving and electric power

- not even too opposed to the electric power if charging is instant and you get a sporty type noise as it winds up,  but connected driving should scare us all as thats the end of driving pleasure as we know it and track days 20 years from now will be full of ageing petrol heads reminiscing about the good old days when they used to push pedals and steer a car - going somewhere will be like ordering a Big Mac on one of those screens by 2025-30

Enjoy driving while you can everyone :)
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2019, 18:48 »
I waited almost 6 months for my 14 plate GTD... I can see GTI order books opening maybe June 2020 and the first cars in the UK maybe Just before Christmas 2020....

And as others have said, the spec won't be clear and exactly what any of the newly created options actually do (or don't do) won't be apparent until people on here start explaining what they do after their own cars have been received.

Then just when everyone starts getting their cars, the MY21 will come out, which then will include as standard loads of things people spent money on options for before...

That's based on what happened with the Mk7 and I can't see it being any different on the Mk8.

I would say if you can avoid ordering a Mk8 until Summer 2021 then you will be probably better off.

This was my thinking exactly which is why I want to go for a 2 year lease. Dealer seemed sure the Mk8 GTI would be in his showroom by Feb/Mar next year which I'm not sure I believe.

Thanks to those that have recommended the pedal box and car settings. I'll check those out.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2019, 18:56 »
Are you being offered any decent lease deals?

No, getting a bit disallusioned TBH. I can't find a White DSG 5 door for any reasonable money.
The best I've been offered is the indium grey, which is my second choice colour, for £332 a month, six months up front 8000 miles.
There are quite a few "pre-enhanced" ones knocking about for £60 a month less but these don't have keyless entry or reversing camera, or lane assist.
Are these things worth £60 a month is what I'm thinking.
It's frustrating because I get quoted good prices like £240 a month. But then I have to ask for a "personalised" quote and it gets bumped up every time. This is when they tell me that an offer has ended, or its for a pre-enhanced car.

The £332 + six months might be a good price? Never leased before so I have no benchmark.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2019, 19:12 by trueblue_ips »

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2019, 19:02 »
The accelerator response.  Seemed a bit random. I could definitely detect turbo lag but it seemed more than that. One minute it was very responsive, the next I pushed on the accelerator and nothing seemed to happen.
I think what you were experiencing was how the DSG gearbox actually works, nothing more than that. The DSG box takes a bit of time to get used too, and you have to game/know it to get the best from it if you aren't in manual mode. I first had DSG in an RS4 (albeit Audi call it S-Tronic) and I was initially very disappointed as I expected the shifts to be instantaneous regardless of what the engine was doing, but once you live with DSG and understand how it works and what it needs, it all becomes clear.

For example, if you are in 'auto', revs dropping down slowly and you're off the accelerator, then the gearbox is ready with the next gear it 'thinks' you'll need. If you suddenly stamp on the accelerator, it'll hesitate, select the gear you now actually need, and off you go. All this will take a bit of time, and cause momentary hesitation. DSG can do this quicker than any other 'Auto' box, but it can't defy the laws of physics. On top of this, depending on which mode (Eco, Comfort, Normal or Sport) you have the car in will further increase/decrease the hesitation.

If you're wanting the ultimate gear shifts from a GTI (or any performance DSG equipped car), then it's best in 'manua'l mode, you are in control of the shifts and gears, and it brings your driving ability/connection with the car.

:smiley:

Thanks, I'm sure that's right. Never driven any auto before and I was a bit nervous and didn't have that much time in the car. The dealer drove me in it for 5 mins, accelerated instantly so he knew what he was doing  :smiley:

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2019, 19:28 »
TBH i'd forego those extras to save £60 per month. I've got the rear camera on mine and although I find it useful I wouldn't pay £60 a month for it. I had lane assist on my Octavia and only used it once before I switched it off. Keyless entry just seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2019, 08:58 »
TBH i'd forego those extras to save £60 per month. I've got the rear camera on mine and although I find it useful I wouldn't pay £60 a month for it. I had lane assist on my Octavia and only used it once before I switched it off. Keyless entry just seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

^^^^ this.

Camera is OK but its a square box shaped car with big windows and with parking sensors.... its dead easy to park.

Lane assist will drive you mad and keyless will increase the chances of the car being nicked.

Save the sixty quid, spend it on take away curry instead :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC