Author Topic: GTi Steering  (Read 3945 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
GTi Steering
« on: 30 April 2019, 16:16 »
Has anyone noticed like a swishing/grinding noise on the front passenger wheel when turning right on their car?, cant be heard from inside the car only outside, when my wife pulled into the drive last week I could hear it as she moved to the right, as our warranty runs out on the 1st May I got it down to VW and the tech said this was a normal sound and down to the CV boot :shocked:

Would appreciate any ideas from peeps that have come across this before...

MK7 GTi

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTi Steering
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2019, 16:52 »
Does it on mine and has done since day one. Was told it's the CV boots slightly sticking together as they are made of a different material now 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2019, 12:31 »
Does it on mine and has done since day one. Was told it's the CV boots slightly sticking together as they are made of a different material now 🤷‍♂️

Ok cheers would seem nothing serious then :grin:

MK7 GTi

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2019, 12:36 »
If it's the same noise then nothing to worry about. Does it disappear when it's raining?

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2019, 09:31 »
If it's the same noise then nothing to worry about. Does it disappear when it's raining?

Mine has started to do this in the last few days. Swishing sound- audible from inside the car on full lock right. We’ve had heavy rain in the midlands today-actually  seems more noticeable today. What’s the significance of rain?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2019, 18:09 »
Dont know as I dont drive the wife's car much, was only audio able for me outside the car not in

MK7 GTi

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2019, 19:56 »

Mine has started to do this in the last few days. Swishing sound- audible from inside the car on full lock right. We’ve had heavy rain in the midlands today-actually  seems more noticeable today. What’s the significance of rain?
noise should be non existent in rain as the water kind of lubricates the rubber.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2019, 20:38 »
Thanks. Useful little thread for me. Saves a trip to vw

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2019, 20:25 »
Just to update if anyone is interested, I hadn’t noticed the CV boot noise for quite some time until today, once again after heavy rain. The water must, somehow, increase the noise.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2019, 09:16 »
Has anyone noticed like a swishing/grinding noise on the front passenger wheel when turning right on their car?, cant be heard from inside the car only outside, when my wife pulled into the drive last week I could hear it as she moved to the right, as our warranty runs out on the 1st May I got it down to VW and the tech said this was a normal sound and down to the CV boot :shocked:

Would appreciate any ideas from peeps that have come across this before...

Interesting! I get a similar noise in my car and put it down to my tyres rubbing on my mudflaps - I noticed it for the first time shortly after I installed them. However, I'm now inclined to look into it more, as I was resigned to having to 3D print a bracket to hold the mudflaps back