Author Topic: Moving from manual to automatic  (Read 7536 times)

Offline adekil

• GTI forum regular
Moving from manual to automatic
« on: 21 March 2019, 13:36 »
My Golf R manual is due back in July although I have the option to continue the lease on a monthly basis indefinitely afterwards if I wanted. I am interested in another R (different specs) but I've only ever driven manuals so wondering if anyone else was in the same situation switching to DSG for the first time and how long it took to adapt?

I will arrange a test drive at some stage and really this is the only daunting thing stopping me getting another quote.

Also would you expect the prices to drop on the R later this year as currently, the best price I've found for a lease with 3 months up front is around £450 including maintenance/tyres (almost £100 more what I'm paying now and appreciate some of the extra goes towards the DSG)

TIA
Current(2024): MK8 Golf R, Pure White, RV Camera & 19" Estoril Diamond Cut

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Moving from manual to automatic
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2019, 14:46 »
I've never had DSG, but have had loaner automatics while various cars have been in the workshop.

At first its a bit weird, after a couple of days though I enjoyed the easy traffic jams. At the end of a week I really thought "why don't I have an automatic"?

The only sticking point for me in the past was that it was more money to lease (through the company car scheme) and the emissions were higher than manual (which meant I paid more tax!)

Thankfully I'm out of the company car scheme now and next time I'll get a DSG (probably GTI).

You can use a DSG in semi manual if you really want to... though I suspect I'll do that for the first couple of days then forget it!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2019, 15:16 »
For a daily car I can't ever see myself having another manual. DSG takes no time at all to get used to.

Stick in drive and go. Auto-hold in traffic jams. Stop start. No problems. Want sportier shifts? Pull back back to S mode. Want to drop a gear? Flick the paddles and it changes back when it thinks you've not using them any longer or pull the + paddle for 2 secs and back to D/S. Want full control* over changes. Flick across to M.

* It still changes up at the redline in M mode.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2019, 15:20 »
It took me a little while to adapt from a manual GTD to a GTI with DSG. Gentle driving, in traffic etc, is just how you’d expect - ie. just no clutch or gears to operate, but I found myself being a bit clumsy with the throttle, when I wanted to accelerate hard, causing the ‘box to kick down and rev crazily! Once you get in tune with it, DSG is brilliant. As Fred suggests, for me anyway, the steering wheel paddles are used infrequently and I have yet to find a use for “S” mode. Once you get the feel of it, you can control the ‘box, very adequately, just using the throttle. If instant go is required, the paddles are always there!

Wouldn’t have a car without a dual clutch gearbox now.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline NewbieGTIP

• Not said much yet
  • If it ain’t broke..... it probably soon will be.
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2019, 16:54 »
I’ve just made the switch from manual to DSG, within the first few days I found myself thinking hope I’ve done the right thing, less than 3 weeks later and I definitely have. It’s great for the mindless side of driving and as mentioned by Jim the paddles are there for the instant change if required. I’ve been having some great fun in it, I tend to drive it in comfort and use the paddles if I’m honest.
#330 Gti Clubsport.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2019, 18:49 »
I’ve literally just changed from a manual S3 to a dsg R. Had it since Saturday. I would never go back to a manual. Used the paddles for the first time today which was hilarious. Absolutely love the R. Best car I’ve had.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2019, 18:53 »
To echo all of the above my current GTI is my first DSG and there is no chance I’ll be buying another manual car ever again. It’s just so effortless on my weekend commute but you have the control in M mode if you need it on the twisties.

The only getting used to I had to do is remember to flick it down into S when trying to squeeze into traffic or entering roundabouts but you probably won’t have to do this if you drive like a normal person.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2019, 18:57 »
DSG for ten years here. Never going back either. Absolutely no contest.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2019, 19:02 »
6 years of DSG and Autos for me too. Never, ever, ever want another manual again as an everyday car. My Mk2, or any other car of that ilk has to be a manual as that's just for fun, but that goes without saying.

DSG does take a couple of weeks to learn how to get the best out of it without having to think about it, but it is well worth the effort. Manual gearboxes in everyday cars have had their day.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2019, 19:26 »
Well manual is taking a bit of a knock! Now I've nothing against an auto, never tried a DSG, in fact my previous two cars were autos covering about 14 years and they were great. I'd agree with many comments about the ease in traffic and the more relaxed nature of driving but for me I wanted a change and my manual GTI has been great! Loads of fun and love the feel of being more in control and the mechanical involvement. As for the OP, you've had manuals for a long time so perhaps it's just time for a change?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.