Author Topic: Fuel - Super or not.  (Read 3383 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Fuel - Super or not.
« on: 18 August 2008, 20:22 »
What do you guys use, Super unleaded and diesel or not?

Obviously us lot with remaps should use the good stuff - i always use Shell V -power  well worth it IMO.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2008, 13:45 by richw911 »

MKIV Mod Squadâ„¢ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Fuel - Super or not.
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2008, 20:24 »
Total Excellium Diesel for me - only 4p more expensive than normal stuff

started using it at en route to Le Mans 2 years ago - find that performance is better, less smoke under load (even with a map), couple of extra miles to the gallon and its kept my EGR valve relatively free from crud and sh!te

worth the extra IMO  :cool:

Offline M4VERICK

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2008, 20:26 »
Seen quite a few topics on here already asking this question.  Personally, i try and use Super Unleaded all the time, and, if im near a Shell garage i'll always use Optimax as i definately notice a difference with my MPG.  Unfortunately, there isnt a Shell garage in North Devon, so i can only fill up with it when im elsewhere.
I noticed a 3mpg difference driving the same journey from normal unleaded to Super.  Some people say it is a "Placebo" , that its just a marketing scam and doesnt make a difference, but with my GTI it runs so much more smoothly on Optimax

Offline dai-cymru

• I live here
  • 1989 MK2 16V
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2008, 20:35 »
just use normal 95 ron plenty for my normal car, my mate had a scooby on an 05 plate and it would only run on shell optimax (even said it in the manual) he got caught once and wasn't near a shell garage and put in super from another garage, car ran like a pig and he had to drain the tank in the end cos it just wouldnt start after a few days. Goes to show there is a difference in fuel for performance cars.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2008, 20:47 »
just use normal 95 ron plenty for my normal car, my mate had a scooby on an 05 plate and it would only run on shell optimax (even said it in the manual) he got caught once and wasn't near a shell garage and put in super from another garage, car ran like a pig and he had to drain the tank in the end cos it just wouldnt start after a few days. Goes to show there is a difference in fuel for performance cars.

thats shocking  :shocked:

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2008, 21:04 »
Apart from a couple of emergency situations, I haven't used <97 RON fuel for over 5 yrs, now.  :cool:

Could never go back, now!!
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline gooseuk

• Here all the time
  • Diesel is the way forward
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2008, 10:46 »
Just normal diesel.

I go to morrisons its cheap there right now. 1.19 cant argue with that now.
Diesel power all the way

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2008, 12:04 »
jus normal unleaded for me that more expensive stuff to me isnt much difference imo

Offline ben1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2008, 13:39 »
Should always run turbos on super unleaded mate even more so if they have been played with. My dad always uses super unleaded in his TT and I used it in all my other turbos.
Golf SOLD. Replaced with a Yamaha Raptor 660 quad and loving it. This will be replaced in August with a Raptor 700. Sold the quad now got a Vectra GSI 2.5 V6 and its the nuts.

Brands Hatch massive. MEMBERSHIP ACCEPTED!

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2008, 13:42 »
Used normal fuel maybe i'll upgrade after this tank full. :smiley: