Author Topic: Paint on wing to a-pillar edge + door post  (Read 19608 times)

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
Although my gap appears a lot smaller than yours but this might just be because of the colour.

Nah, it's because the weedier engines are given the more flexible, B-grade chassis which requires massive shut lines :grin:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Your boot with paint overspray is what i expected mine to be like but i don't even get the overspray. I would have been happy with what you got in the boot.

Your a-pillars i did notice the gaps varie wildly between cars  :huh: when i was looking. Yours do seem to have paint too the edges of the wings but it maybe the angle and your tighter gap.

Your door pillar/rear of wing look better than mine but i think you can see what i was on about there.

« Last Edit: 02 April 2010, 20:08 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
This picture is of the same A frame gap but using a flash.
It looks like the paint stops before the end of the actual panel, however in daylight this isn't the case and it appears fully painted.
Could it not be a trick of the light with yours?

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Its not a trick of the light in my case as i can see mine with my eyes, Its the only reason i took the photo. I have also seen it on another cars at the dealer. I think the bigger gaps in mine does not help matters.
Your slight line maybe just a line of dirt or wax oil or something. :smiley:

Your rear panel in the boot? Is it like mine and white primer rather than the grey of the rest of the boot?
« Last Edit: 02 April 2010, 20:16 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
This picture is of the same A frame gap but using a flash.
It looks like the paint stops before the end of the actual panel, however in daylight this isn't the case and it appears fully painted.
Could it not be a trick of the light with yours?

Needs a wash p3asa.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
It was washed yesterday believe it or not.
Black certainly isn't the colour for UK winter roads  :cry:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
It was washed yesterday believe it or not.
Black certainly isn't the colour for UK winter roads  :cry:

I know what you mean. Looks fantastic when clean though.

I checked mine today after reading this post. All good.
The bottom of the boot is greyish - never noticed before and really don't mind.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
so my first mk 6 gti was a metallic black and I remember seeing a small amount of grey primer on the back of the front wings when I opened the door..interestingly it's replacement is a candy white which has no primer visible here and the backs of the wings are fully painted ...mind you it's a better built car than the black one as the panel gaps are much tighter and consistent compared to the first one

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Others who have said theres is ok
Can i ask in this photo below is your back panel and tie hooks the same colour as the boot floor or white like mine or body coloured and is your seam sealer coloured or brown like mine?

Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Snoopy.

Still have not got a camera but this is what I have seen on my car.

(1) Boot - Grommets are painted with overspray and are maroon in colour as are the vibration pads. All surfaces in the boot have been sprayed. No grey or white bits. No running brown sealant. Fine by me.
(2) All exposed curved surfaces are perfectly covered with paint eg 'A' pillar and front wing interface.
(3) Inside front wings below 'A' pillars perfectly painted as are all internal 'B' wing/door panels.
Internal paint finish is excellent.
(4) I have not had the pleasure to look underneath but, for me, what I don't see I don't care about and let it bother me.
(5) There are no grey bits or white bits on the panels anywhere. All surfaces have 'paint'.

I have to admit that I am 100% happy with the finish and fit on my car.

Hope this helps and will enable you to decide on how you will proceed.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP