Author Topic: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: GTi's 5th Birthday - should I now move onto an R?
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2019, 17:04 »
...And why is the white one missing the alcantara steering wheel?
They are ROI imports, so non UK spec and not 'numbered'.

They're not a Clubsport in my eyes then. Certainly not worth the money they're asking for them.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2019, 17:37 »
Did they not facelift the Clubsport? 68 reg with MK7 body and interior, just doesn't look right

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2019, 17:39 »
The 7R is a fantastic car, the 4wd is excellent, but they are very common.  I sold mine to buy a Clubsport because I wanted more exclusivity and I don't regret it!  So, 7R if you're not bothered about how common they are, or a CS if you want to remain within the GTI club. 

Those imports over the page will also come with just a 2 year warranty I believe (as well as being spec'd wrong and not having plaques).  Also, imports have to be declared to the insurance company and may cost more.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2019, 17:42 »
Did they not facelift the Clubsport? 68 reg with MK7 body and interior, just doesn't look right

They will have been built late 2016 or early 2017 almost certainly.

Offline Ginagee

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2019, 17:50 »
Well, if you spend a lot of time trying to do 0-60 in 4.4 secs then a yellow R is a must(ard).

Aside from that, if you can afford it and like the look of the car then why the hell not?
Yeah, the R costs a little more to run but not stupidly more. The road tax might be a bit expensive on some of them if they have very high spec though.

The R is an amazing car, a step up from a GTI in certain areas. But the humble GTI still punches above its weight. If you fancy the change then the R is different enough to make it feel like a different car but similar enough to be familiar in all the important places.

Perfectly put Exonian. Certainly a lot of food for thought here, thank you everyone. Thanks for the CS links Jim_mk7.5...(those seats though :shocked:). Yes, the Tumeric Yellow is definitely a marmite colour - a bit of a concern for when the time comes to sell on. It does look flipping good though with the black Pretorias. Going to do a bit more pondering and hope that the R I've got my eye on doesn't go in the meantime.
2014 GTi Mk7 5dr Manual, Reflex Silver, PP, DNS, Dynaudio, Pano Roof.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2019, 18:06 »

They will have been built late 2016 or early 2017 almost certainly.
Indeed, a build date and a registration date are two different things.

In 2017 the ROI was flooded with clubsports and there were a couple of garages over here who bought a job lot of them unregistered and sold them for discounted prices. These were probably left over from those stock bundles and have now been registered.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2019, 18:30 »
I went to a garage where they had 5 of these ROI clubsports lined up. They told me they’d had 25 originally.  :shocked:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2019, 21:52 »
Do it

That is all  :grin:
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2019, 22:53 »
ROI Clubsports all had the alcantara steering wheel and the proper seats - same as U.K. spec. Irish cars spec doesn’t differ at all much from U.K. spec. In fact I think Irish cars tend to be slightly better spec’d.

That wheel and especially those awful seats have been retrofitted by previous owner(s)!
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2019, 23:36 »
...And why is the white one missing the alcantara steering wheel?
They are ROI imports, so non UK spec and not 'numbered'.
Sorry mate you’re wrong about them being from Ireland. The speedo is clearly in miles and kph which rules that out instantly. And as Joe says all IRISH spec clubsports came with the alcantara wheel.  :whistle:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox