Author Topic: 2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?  (Read 6372 times)

Offline b80

• Just got here
2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?
« on: 08 July 2018, 16:32 »
Hi all,

Today I took a 2014 GTI PP 5 door manual out for a test drive - loved it!

No optional extra's apart from the Performance Pack (which I want) and 'special paint' - can anyone confirm what the special paint is please.

Car was registered Jan 14 and is up for 16950 - approx 20k miles on the clock, full annual VWSH. No previous accidents, appeared spotless, drove fine. Managed to knock down another 500 off the price.

I then ran a cowow search for the same spec and best offer I've received so far is 25848.

Seems the GTI holds it's value well in the 2nd hand market. Hasn't even shed 50% of its original tag despite being 4.5 years old. Would you say the car I drove appears decent value?

Many thanks

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: 2nd Hand GTI - Good Value?
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2018, 17:30 »
What colour is it? Oryx White was and still is the most expensive paint finish. The inclusive paint (ie no extra cost) has varied but for 2014 was likely flat white and/or black. All others were at an additional cost with red being the cheapest (as flat) and various grey, silver, blue and black metallics. Value wise, not sure, probably best to guage it against others on Autotrader. Make sure it has a comprehensive and long warranty as some expensive bits can go - turbo, waterpump and clutch. Rear discs can also wear prematurely. They are great cars to drive though, comfortable on a run and exciting where conditions allow :evil:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2018, 09:39 »
In 2014, pure white was also optional - around £250 IIRC.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2018, 09:51 »
GTI PP 2014 ~20k 5 door manual is about 17k at the moment it seems.

A lot depends on the other options, but the price you've got there is about the going rate I'd say.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2018, 20:20 »
Not sure if this helps but my oct 2015 3door GTI PP with 42k on the clock was up for just under £20k in January. It had VWSH plus interim services every 5k. It had all the options apart from the sunroof and 19inch wheels. It also had the balance of the 5 year factory warranty remaining.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2018, 09:02 »
Nice to see that they're keeping their value - hopefully the 3 door is too lol.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2018, 09:10 »
You have to remember that a VW main dealer will add about 6k to the price they pay you for the car... so a 20k forecourt sticker is a 14k trade in... Obviously selling privately through Autotrader you'll get a slightly better price, if you can be bothered with tyre kickers and scammers...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline WarwickGTI

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2018, 13:16 »
Bought my 15 plate GTI PP 6mt for about 17k last November from a main dealer. Had 41k miles with optional wheels and Dynaudio. Managed to knock just over a grand off the price if I completed within the week due to the dealers FY coming to an end
MK 7 GTI Performance Pack 3dr manual, Carbon Grey, Santiagos, Dynaudio

Previously: VW Up! (First car handed down by mum)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2018, 23:22 »
Not sure if this helps but my oct 2015 3door GTI PP with 42k on the clock was up for just under £20k in January. It had VWSH plus interim services every 5k. It had all the options apart from the sunroof and 19inch wheels. It also had the balance of the 5 year factory warranty remaining.
More like 2k not 6 but 2k on every trade in is still a hell of a mark up.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2018, 07:41 »
More like 2k not 6 but 2k on every trade in is still a hell of a mark up.

Try it.... stick your own car into one of those car buying web pages, see what it comes back as.... then go look on VW Das Auto for a similar car.... its way more than a 2k markup, its more like 6k.