Author Topic: Syncro anyone  (Read 4745 times)

Veedubgt18v

Re: Syncro anyone
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2006, 16:13 »
fair point. well made.

but i would rather have a lardy (sic) rallye :wink:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2006, 16:18 »
The Syncro is the same system as the Rallye, G60 and Ltd.

IIRC the higher power Syncros have a higher-torque viscous coupling (VC) at the back.  The rear diff is pretty much the same, though and all are independently lubricated.

The main difference Rallye to Syncro transmission-wise is that the Syncro has a rod-change box, the design of which is much weaker - the Rallye is cable-change, which is a lot more robust.  The two boxes DO have a transfer box to take power to the back, but it's not known as particularly weak.  There are a couple of differently lubricated (independent/non-independently lubed) transfer boxes that were fitted to the Rallye.

The Syncro-system (as mentioned above) relies on a VC.  This is a torque sensing device, mounted in front of the rear diff, which has viscous fluid in it.  The action of the fluid is similar to a cornflour-water mix, if you stir it slowly it's liquid, if you try to stir it fast then it goes solid.  This device means that the 4WD is controlled entirely by driving conditions, with no input from the driver.  It is better described as 'pseudo-full-time' rather than 'part-time'.  This is exactly the same as the G60, Ltd and Rallye.  Heat can improve the response time of the unit, but it works from cold.

The driving experience of the Syncro is hugely different to a GTI or other 2WD Golf.  Like the Rallye, Ltd or G60 Syncro the carb Syncro shares independent rear suspension and also has the stiffer high transmission tunnel bodyshell identical to the G60 Syncro and similar to the (massively reinforced and very heavy) Rallye shell.  With a Rallye ARB on the back to dial out the standard 'buckets of understeer' handling and a few other tweaks the Golf Syncro will run rings around many other cars, especially on back roads, or in the wet.  A well tweaked Syncro would be able to keep up with a Rallye, too - it's a LOT lighter.

If you kept the original gearbox, fitted 280mm brakes on the front and the 16V master cylinder, maybe some stiffer springs and the Rallye rear ARB, swapped out the GU head for a PB head with a nice lairy cam and fitted a Weber 32/34DTML carb you'd have yourself a cheap, light sleeper that would be a lot of fun to drive, too.

That's what I have, that's how I know how good it is.

Sure as hell beats trying to source obsolete parts for a lardy Rallye.

Mr Hell how you doing? Nice to see you on here too!

Nick

(also Horney on 80-90 and brickyard)

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2006, 16:20 »
how much do all the 4wd golfs weigh?

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2006, 16:23 »

Mr Hell how you doing? Nice to see you on here too!

Nick

(also Horney on 80-90 and brickyard)

Ah yeah I was just looking at that name thinking why on earth is his post count only one, he posts loads. It's from the wedge sites, ah I'll get back to snoozing at my desk now :)

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #14 on: 30 August 2006, 16:25 »
It's OK Tobz, it's nearly home time!

Nick

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2006, 17:39 »
very informative was that Diamond Hell, thanks

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #16 on: 30 August 2006, 23:21 »
I have indeed, just arrived.

I'm afraid you'll spot me on any forum as Diamond Hell, unlike some other people I use the same username everywhere.

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here.

Here to help etc

Please remember the 'etc' bit.

Just finished fitting the 280mm front stoppers to my Syncro tonight.  It no longer stops, it now GURT stops!  :evil:

Weights:

2dr G60 2wd 1080 kilos, 2dr G60 Syncro 1165 kilos
4dr G60 2wd 1105 kilos, 4dr G60 Syncro 1190 kilos

I'd presume the carb Syncro is a little less.

Mine will be getting progressively lighter in the next few weeks - I'm still hoping I might make it to the Norschleife on the last weekend of September.  No point carrying too much trim out there, eh?

Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
« Reply #17 on: 30 August 2006, 23:31 »
fair play mate... was lookin at buyin one last year... synchro floorpan/running gear , fitted to a 3door shell running a 2.0 16v on mechanical fuel injection (old mk2 16v stylie) with k star piggy back box etc... needed tinkering with to finish but loads of money spent plus elctric recaros and stuff.... couldnt afford it at the time though.. told others but they never snapped it up.. wonder where it is now...

:cry: :cry:

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2006, 00:05 »
I was told the syncro drivetrain was a lot weaker than the G60 syncro/rallye one and with my intent to 20vT it would only mash it to bits. I did have a 3dr syncro with rallye drivetrain on the cards too, but as with everything funds were too tight to buy it.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 31 August 2006, 00:09 »
have you got any pictures of your syncro diamond hell?