Author Topic: Tyres advice please  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
Tyres advice please
« on: 09 January 2018, 17:32 »

My wives GTD has had  Bridgestones on since new and we have had them replaced with the same but I have read a lot about Michelin ps4 as being really good .
We usually replace tyres with the same as  original fitted .

If i put two on the front( when needing changed ) will it make a massive difference to the car as ps4s will give better grip and will they last as well as bridgestone, and also is the sidewall protection any worse or better .

Thanks in advance .

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Tyres advice please
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2018, 23:32 »
They probably won't last as long as the Bridgestone's. Not much else will last as long, the Bridgestone's are quite hard tyres, which is why they're noisy and have less grip.

If you're planning to keep the car a while longer, it may be worth swapping tyres round so the older ones go on the front to balance out the wear, and put some new Michelin's on the rear. Most tyres are past their best after 6 years anyway, whether they're worn or not.

If you put Michelin's on the front you'll get better traction pulling away from junctions. Ideally you'd have the same tyres all round, but if not it's advisable not to have different tyres on the same axle.
7.5 GTD