Author Topic: The DVLA Information Thread  (Read 132000 times)

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
Re: The DVLA Information Thread
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2009, 04:24 »
Wont let me sorn it online it says because of recent changes you can not sorn online,Should`nt the dealership deal with this and why has it come to my address when i used the car for the goverments scrappage scheme It also says don`t sorn a car if you no longer own it :undecided: I`ll ring them on monday bit p issed off as i should`nt need to be doing this,first i get the docs for my mk6 golf gti saying its a polo gti,now i get the tax reminder for a car that was used in the scrappage scheme 7 weeks ago :angry: :angry:Mind you it was in my wifes name so she will get the fine  :laugh: but i`ll have to pay it :cry:

That mesage helps then.. that is telling me that the V11 you received was sent out to you before the dealer sent in the paperwork for the scrapping.. i would think you therefore have nothing to worry about as there have been recent amendments to the record. I would still confirm this in writing if you are worried though.

As for the polo/golf incident, the dealer has a system called AFRL that they manually input all the data for a vehicle including make/model codes/vrm/chassis/colour etc.. and if your going to a dealer such as a ford/vw/peugeot who only deal with one type of car they can sometimes get a bit blarzay about what they are entering.. The only time this will come to light with the DVLA is when you go for your first mot and the details on record dont match the mot tester details..

Finally when it comes to MOT's, i would be very careful to check the information on your vehicle with that on your logbook.. when i worked in the mismatch team i would get error messages and it was obvious that the mot tester would enter information from the logbook rather than taking it from the car.. then when we would write to the customer regarding a type 1 error i.e VRM, Chassis number the customer would take it from the logbook also, even though the letter says take it from the vehicle.. To save yourself the hassle of a vehicle inspection always and i mean ALWAYS take the information from the vehicle and check it all when you buy a car...
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2009, 10:34 »
i got one for u i bought a golf on the 21 of last month i recieve log book for it yesterday so i sorn it straight away online any as i was goin thru the proccess it comes up warning there has been a gap in the sorn or tax since the 21st of last month this is a offence and does carry a fine

how am i ment to sorn the car the day i buy it with out the relavent ref numbers ect

any ideas what may come of this ?

I have just emailed my missus to check on this one, if the Previous owner had a refund on the tax disc, i would expect that to start from september 1st.. There are different rules regarding sorn of a vehicle is a motor trader has it.. so did you buy it private or from a showroom??

I think that this is just a generic message but for future reference, i am sure that the 16 digit number you are required to provide from the logbook to sorn is actually also on the new keepers supplement.. again i shall check this with the missus, so you could have sorn'd using the number on the new keepers supplement while waiting for the logbook to arrive in your name.

edit...

he is meant to fill in a v890 and attach it to the v5c when he bought it dated the 21st, it is probably due to the previous keeper applying for a refund as they should have ticked the sorn box on there refund application covering them until the v5c had been keyed into the system, i cant see him having a fine, when a keeper change has taken place they seem to go after the previous keeper if anything is wrong, providing you havent left it over a month before your own sorn date has gone in you should be fine,

the previous keeper must have provided them with a disposal date (date which he sold it) as due to the new laws that came in in jan 09' no-one can have a refund on a tax disc without a 'date of event', basically you have to tell them your sorning the vehicle or you have sold the vehicle in order to get your money back, he must have told them he had sold it,

i got it from a private sale and the car been sorn for around 5 yrs i think so there was no tax sent back

thanks for the info lee

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2009, 10:37 »
Mods, this would make a good sticky. :wink:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2009, 11:42 »
The log book incident we noticed straight away we went to the dealer who said dvla had messed up (probably dealer from what you have said) any way we got a new logbook 7-10 days later with the correct details on,the vin number was correct and matched the one on the car, it was just it orginally said polo not golf.I take it everything should be ok now ? Thanks for taking the time to answer by the way :cool:
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2009, 12:11 »
The log book incident we noticed straight away we went to the dealer who said dvla had messed up (probably dealer from what you have said) any way we got a new logbook 7-10 days later with the correct details on,the vin number was correct and matched the one on the car, it was just it orginally said polo not golf.I take it everything should be ok now ? Thanks for taking the time to answer by the way :cool:

if the logbook matches the car then ai, u should be fine..
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2009, 18:27 »
Sticky?  This isn't worthy of a sticky, it's worth a whole new section with bored_welsh_lad as the mod!

Would be more use than the insurance section, that's for sure - threads about DVLA are interesting and useful, rather than insurance threads, of which about 50% seem to go:

im 17 and have found a reel cheap r32/mk5 gti/supercharged VR6 how much is insurance gunna be, i am a real carful driver, innit?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2009, 18:30 »
Sticky?  This isn't worthy of a sticky, it's worth a whole new section with bored_welsh_lad as the mod!

Would be more use than the insurance section, that's for sure - threads about DVLA are interesting and useful, rather than insurance threads, of which about 50% seem to go:

im 17 and have found a reel cheap r32/mk5 gti/supercharged VR6 how much is insurance gunna be, i am a real carful driver, innit blud?

you missed blud off the end

Dan

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2009, 18:47 »
Cheers DH...

Lucky your not a mk3 owner or you would be used to repetition.. "my car limits at 5k"... "my car keeps stalling".. "my vagcom says theres a crank position sensor problem, whats should i do".. "where can i locate the crank position sensor".."how do i clean the throttle body"... "my crank position sensor is f**ked, how to replace"...

actually im wrong here.. the title normally is.. "help".. or "whats wrong".. so when people search they dont get a decent amount of threads back haha...

anyways thats enough about my rant.. most of the information on here i have sourced from the internet.. its all run of the mill sh!t, not secrets of the DVLA.. so please hold back on the praise..

I endevour to help with all your needs.. with regards the previous post about Cherished Marks, Personalised plates etc.. I will have a gander.. see what the missus and my mate has to say and get back to you, as they work out of their own section of the Vehicles side of DVLA..

Offline Mew

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2009, 20:34 »
Any "loophole" or similar to get a replacement v5 document if the existing one has been lost?

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2009, 17:33 »
Interesting two phone calls to DVLA today BWL,rang them about the tax reminder they have sent us for the car we used in the scrappage scheme 7-8 weeks ago.The wife phoned and spoke to a lady who said they had no knowledge of the scrapping of the vehicle and we would have to send a letter with all the info,i then found a letter they sent us(6 weeks ago) acknowledging the fact we were no longer the owners and it was being scrapped,phoned back and spoke to a man who said he could see on his system it had been scrapped and was no longer in our name,he added that he did`nt know what the previous lady was doing and she should easily have been able to see on the system that it had been scrapped :angry: I think its because of employees like the first lady(who was quite rude and unhelpfull) that DVLA sometimes gets bad press :undecided:Any way got the last mans name and dept so we can ring him direct if we need to
Golfgti build quality is average at best.