Author Topic: Mk6 Golf R brakes on a Mk5 GTI  (Read 17782 times)

Offline Beddie

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk6 Golf R brakes on a Mk5 GTI
« Reply #30 on: 20 November 2013, 23:26 »
New question! See main post! :rolleyes:

Re fitting the R32 rear brake setup to the gti, yes there are some significant differences between the 2 setups..
Gti has 286mm (282mm if you buy the latest revision OE disc that stops the 'lip' on the disc the 286 version gives) solid rear discs whereas the R32/R/S3 has 310mm vented discs,
There will be an improvement in braking using the R32 setup and it does improve stability when used in conjunction with the R32 or other BBK fronts
I prefer the feel the smaller gti setup gives tbh as I like to trail brake on track which helps turn the car in and there's also the unsprung weight advantage of the smaller setup and the fact the Cupra has the larger 345mm fronts but retains the 286mm rears from the factory shows that it's not a mismatched setup to run  :smiley:
Carbon Grey ED35

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Re: Mk6 Golf R brakes on a Mk5 GTI
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2013, 07:47 »
Ah, OK then. My thoughts were also that in a front wheel drive, the majority of the braking happens at the front wheels, due to 100% of the power from the engine going through them and the weight shift under braking.

Out of interest, does anyone have the part numbers for R32 rear calipers, or Mk6 Golf R ones?
« Last Edit: 21 November 2013, 07:59 by MikeMaher205 »

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!