Author Topic: Keevil Airfield Today (Saturday 23rd)  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
Keevil Airfield Today (Saturday 23rd)
« on: 23 October 2010, 19:57 »
We took the Golf to Keevil Airfield today for a MSE trackday.

The mornings weather was awful with heavy rain and masses of standing water on the track. The car was alternating between aquaplaning, spinning the front wheels when you tried to get some power down, and locking up under braking.

It made for some interesting sessions and a good learning curve about standing water.

We pulled over to the edge of the track to let an Ariel Atom past and the next thing I knew he came diagonally in front of us and straight off on to the grass. I'll look tomorrow and see if this came out on the video.

I would have tried adjusting a few things like tyre pressures and damper settings but it was pi55ing down and I really didn't want to spend the rest of the day wet.

Lunchtime saw a break in the rain so I adjusted the dampers down one setting and let a few PSI out of the tyres but the standing water cleared up and the track started to dry out. so no idea if this helped.

The exhaust backbox heatshield came loose in the afternoon which was a simple fix but the rest of the exhaust has started to rattle badly again in a few places. I've been battling this for over 3 years since I bought the car.

All in all a good day with two different weather conditions which made it like two separate trackdays.

One more booked for November and another possible in December.

Paul

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Keevil Airfield Today (Saturday 23rd)
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2010, 04:23 »
Golf GTI's hardest working track day enthusiast - I salute your dedication and disposable income  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2010, 07:15 »
 :grin: @ DH

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2010, 23:38 »
Golf GTI's hardest working track day enthusiast - I salute your dedication and disposable income  :grin:

It's a bit like chucking £20 notes into a drain but a bit more fun  :laugh:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2010, 12:03 »

+1 I only managed 1.1 trackdays this year :sad:

Nick