Author Topic: Grey bumpers - sorted  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
Re: Grey bumpers - sorted
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2008, 17:11 »
so don't keep us holding on... what's the first best thing??!!  :laugh:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=54884.0       ?      :wink:

This stuff lasts 6 months plus - especially if occasionally wiped down with Autoglym AquaWax after washing   :smiley:

Hi guys i have a MKV with a huuuuuuge plastic arse which is only a couple of months old. do you guys think  if i applied this stuff regularly it would prevent fading.  :undecided:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2008, 17:13 »

This stuff lasts 6 months plus - especially if occasionally wiped down with Autoglym AquaWax after washing   :smiley:

ha!  :laugh:

Offline eightyeightmph

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2008, 18:18 »

This stuff lasts 6 months plus - especially if occasionally wiped down with Autoglym AquaWax after washing   :smiley:

Hi guys i have a MKV with a huuuuuuge plastic arse which is only a couple of months old. do you guys think  if i applied this stuff regularly it would prevent fading.  :undecided:

Surely someones produced a UV resistant detailing product for just such an occasion?? :huh:
2016 GOLF GTD

NewGolf

« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2008, 18:23 »

Surely someones produced a UV resistant detailing product for just such an occasion?? :huh:

Zaino Z16, honestly its the best I've tried. UV40 and makes your tyres and plastics look like brand new.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zaino-z-16-perfect-tire-gloss/prod_476.html

Awesome stuff.

An application should last about 1 month before you need to top it up, including weekly washes.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2008, 18:33 by NewGolf »

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2008, 18:25 »

Hi Top Cat,

Love the new sig  :cool: Perhaps you could get the graffiti photoshopped to say "TC is King!" next to your bonnet  :laugh:

Most products like Autoglym bumper care or tight nothern equivalents like shoe wax are intended as cures rather than preventative.  But, I would suggest that any product that sits on the plastic and acts as a barrier to oil, pollution and UV light, which are the worst things for plastics, are a good idea.  :smiley:

There are a few very good spray - wipe products that are trim safe now.  AG Aquawax is one and I have noticed that it can sit ontop of proprietary bumper care products and prolong their effectiveness.  Guy or someone will probably be able to point you in the direction of a good sealant for plastics (if there is such a thing) because he has a greater knowledge of whats out there.

Edit I see its already happened!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 22 September 2008, 18:28 by Simon8v91 »

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2008, 19:06 »

Hi Top Cat,

Love the new sig  :cool: Perhaps you could get the graffiti photoshopped to say "TC is King!" next to your bonnet  :laugh:

Most products like Autoglym bumper care or tight nothern equivalents like shoe wax are intended as cures rather than preventative.  But, I would suggest that any product that sits on the plastic and acts as a barrier to oil, pollution and UV light, which are the worst things for plastics, are a good idea.  :smiley:

There are a few very good spray - wipe products that are trim safe now.  AG Aquawax is one and I have noticed that it can sit ontop of proprietary bumper care products and prolong their effectiveness.  Guy or someone will probably be able to point you in the direction of a good sealant for plastics (if there is such a thing) because he has a greater knowledge of whats out there.

Edit I see its already happened!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys just ordered loads of ocd stuff, the zaino z16 was out of stock  :cry:

Simon i likey your idea about the sig  :wink:

NewGolf

« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2008, 19:16 »
What did you order mate?

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2008, 21:54 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline HasH

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2008, 09:38 »
i always used autoglym bumper care gel on my mk3. come up a treat every time and lasted a fair while too.

Offline madhouse

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2008, 14:40 »
i always used autoglym bumper care gel on my mk3. come up a treat every time and lasted a fair while too.

I agree here again - and good value for money without paying silly "detailers dosh"

top tip

if your bumpers are greying... weathered and old now forget products, or gels or sprays or groundnut oil or boot polish

get a heat gun and 30 mins and sort it.

Mine look BRAND new now.

It'll last about 1 month then go back to grey. You cant keep doing it either as it will damage the plastic. Old car salesmans trick to make the cars look like new  :sad:

2nd'd best thing on the market is Autoglym bumper care gel. Green slime looking stuff but does wonders to black plastic trim and lasts too. Not the spray "back to black" poo - that is just sh#te

Hardy har har I meant seconded  :grin:  :wink:  :lipsrsealed: