Author Topic: Detailing the Mk7 Golf GTI  (Read 7694 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Detailing the Mk7 Golf GTI
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2014, 20:28 »
What is "sling"? Seen a few people mention it on DW but can't figure out what it is. Is it when the tyre dressing runs?

PS. Both cars in here look very nice  :laugh:

Sling is when the tyre dressing splashes up the sides of the car when you're in motion.  Some dressings are worse than others for this.  In my experience it's usually the thinner gels that sling more, though they are easier to apply than thicker gels.  It can occur even when they've been left to cure for a while and have dried.  Silicone based gels take longer to dry so you get it with them as well (as opposed to water based).  Using too much also increases the chances of sling.  I've yet to find the tyre dressing that gives me the finish I want without slinging  :undecided:

As Dan says the Zaino is quite runny, I'm interested to know if it will sling. 
« Last Edit: 14 June 2014, 21:55 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 15 June 2014, 10:42 »
Sling is when the tyre dressing splashes up the sides of the car when you're in motion.  Some dressings are worse than others for this.  In my experience it's usually the thinner gels that sling more, though they are easier to apply than thicker gels.  It can occur even when they've been left to cure for a while and have dried.  Silicone based gels take longer to dry so you get it with them as well (as opposed to water based).  Using too much also increases the chances of sling.  I've yet to find the tyre dressing that gives me the finish I want without slinging  :undecided:

As Dan says the Zaino is quite runny, I'm interested to know if it will sling.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2014, 20:59 »
Little pic update after the week and just over 300 miles:

Still looking good and zero sling, seems like the Zaino is good stuff :)

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2014, 21:47 »
Ta for the update Dan, that still looks very good.  I washed mine last night and used the PB bold n bright on tyres but a day later and it doesn't look as good as yours after 300 miles!  I'm gonna give the Zaino a go. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2014, 22:00 »
No worries Rebecca, not been driven in the wet yet but for the first tyre dressing I've tried I'm liking it a lot :)

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2014, 22:10 »
No worries Rebecca, not been driven in the wet yet but for the first tyre dressing I've tried I'm liking it a lot :)

I'm also on the hunt for a new interior detailer spray.  I use Poorboys natural look dressing which is brilliant but I also want a spray cleaner.  You're an Auto Finesse devotee, have you used their Total Interior Cleaner?  any good?  I use AF hide cleanser and glass cleaner which are both good.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2014, 22:27 »
I'm also on the hunt for a new interior detailer spray.  I use Poorboys natural look dressing which is brilliant but I also want a spray cleaner.  You're an Auto Finesse devotee, have you used their Total Interior Cleaner?  any good?  I use AF hide cleanser and glass cleaner which are both good.

Haha I've literally just posted in the mk6 forum about using Total  :grin: yeah I like it, I've not really too much experience with anything else. On my previous car I just used really diluted G101 to clean the interior. I like the fact that Auto Finesse stuff is made in the UK, actually quite locally to me and it's well priced I think. Actually some bargains on Amazon at the min, Total is just £5 so no reason no to try it :)

Is that Crystal you're using on the glass? I could do with a new glass cleaner to try (actually I don't need one at all but any excuse  :tongue:). Be interested to know how the PB Natural look compares to 303 Aerospace too

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2014, 23:37 »
Good to support British brands especially if they're local  :smiley:

The Crystal is a good glass cleaner.  Sometimes I slum it with Autoglym Fast Glass  :grin:

I LOVE PB Natural Look.  It's by far the best interior cleaner/dressing I've used (and there's been a fair few).  You need to squirt it onto a micro fibre first, apply it, then buff off with a clean MF.  Not as easy to apply as a spray but worth the effort.  They say you can use a spray trigger with it but it's really too thick for that.  It leaves absolutely no residue or smears and really restores a lovely oem matt finish to trim. 

Like you, I don't really need another cleaner  :rolleyes:  but handy to have a spray for a quick once over in between proper cleans.  I'm the kind of sad person that will get the cleaner out if I'm sat in the car waiting for something/someone.   :embarrassed:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 21 June 2014, 06:43 »
What is "sling"? Seen a few people mention it on DW but can't figure out what it is. Is it when the tyre dressing runs?

PS. Both cars in here look very nice  :laugh:

Here goes at trying to explain what 'sling' is in the context of tyre dressing. With some tyre dressings, if you apply too much or if you're looking for a really wet look so don't buff off the excess, once you drive the car, the wheels act a bit like a centrifuge and the excess dressing works it's way to the outer edge of the tyre and splatters onto your car's bodywork.

I've just bought some of this to use on my tyres;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/finishkare-108as-top-kote-tire-dressing/prod_635.html

Not really a dedicated tyre dressing as it can be used on other surfaces such as plastics and vinyl trim as well as tyres. I can't vouch for it's durability yet as I used it for the first time this week but it looks good - not too shiny.

I use one of these to apply it, to get an even coverage;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/trim-tyre-dressing-applicator/prod_340.html

Edit - Oops  :shocked:;  just seen that Booth11 explained what sling was a few replies back, so apologies for repeating, although good to know my understanding is the same as yours Booth11 !
« Last Edit: 21 June 2014, 06:50 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl