Author Topic: Noob @ Detailing.  (Read 5381 times)

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.
Noob @ Detailing.
« on: 02 May 2014, 12:14 »
Now, I bought some bits of Waxammo a while ago, they still all do a good job.

I was just wandering, a few things as so many people on the forums put so much passion into cleaning there cars.

When foaming a car, it seems some people just seem to spray it all over the car, then just wash it off. An that's it all done? I would have thought you atleast need to give it a rub over with a microfiber of something?

Also, I've heard people mention something like a Sealant. That you put on the car after you've washed it which pro longs dirty rain water etc sitting on the car, rather then having to clean the car so often?

Apologies if my post aggravates anyonee lol!

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
Re: Noob @ Detailing.
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2014, 12:35 »
If you're referring to snow foam then it loosens up any surface dirt to make the washing easier and safer to the paint, this normally gets rinsed off after it has dwelled for a while and then the car gest washed.

A sealant is a protector for the paint and puts a layer on the car. It kinda helps with cleaning but doesn't really act as stoppa for dirt sitting on the car.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2014, 14:40 »
^^^
The snow foam stage is not a substitute or short cut for the 2 bucket wash.  If you rub snow foam in, you risk rubbing grit into the paintwork.  It is merely a useful preparatory wash stage that reduces the contaminants on the car by them clinging to the foam and being washed away with the rinse.

Spray the car with snow foam, go fill up your 2 buckets for the wash, by the time you've done this the snow foam will have dwelled  long enough, rinse off then start 2 bucket wash using a wash mitt.   
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2014, 13:31 »
I see, so what Jet Wash/Foam lancer is recommended?

I also need to get a new Shampoo and some sealent.

What do any of you guys suggest?

You all seem to be bang on Detailing lol!!!

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2014, 14:06 »
Most detailing companies have a snow foam bottle and adapters to suite your pressure washer. For ratios some people use 1" of snow foam and 1" of shampoo topped with water.  You will need to adjust the foam setting to get the thickness you require.  The more thicker it's applied the more solution you will use.

If you go with the above measures don't waste good quality shampoo as part of the solution.  As for decent shampoo's try a mild or wax free product.  Something like Dodo Juice Born to be Mild.  The less you need to use the further it will go - cheap shampoo's tend to require 2/3 big capfulls whereas other's require maybe 1/2 small capfulls.

JetSeal 109 is an impressive sealant.

Again Waxamomo should be able to sort you out.

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2014, 15:35 »
I messaged Waxamommo a little while ago here, he didn't get back to me sadly lol

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2014, 16:09 »
Contact him direct from his website.

Offline falconmick

• GTI forum regular
  • Golf MK7 R
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2014, 19:15 »
Try detailing world.co.uk

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2014, 13:17 »
I messaged Waxamommo a little while ago here, he didn't get back to me sadly lol

Give Chris a shout at sales@waxamomo.co.uk - he does sponsor a few forums and therefore sometimes one or two enquiries slip through the net. He'll sort you out though, he's a good bloke.

In terms of Snow Foam, if you use the analogy of soaking your dishes in Fairy Liquid before you wash them... It will simply loosen any surface crud on the paint so you minimize the marring caused by wiping and dirt around. It should never be substituted for a proper wash, as anything strong enough to do this will damage any protection on the paint.

Method should be:

- Foam
- Rinse
- Wash
- Rinse
- Dry

Hope this helps!

Jon
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2014, 15:39 »
I understand the process. I just wanted advice on products.

Just bought a kersher ketwash as they on deal at argos atm. Where can I buy the foam lance, are there different types?

But yeah, I just need a nice shampoo, foam and a good spray sealant.

If anyone could help me with any of these bits let me know. Had that dodo juice shampoo before in a yellow bottle smells tropical, that stuff worked well but I'm nrarly out of it now.

Hope your all good guys, any advice or critism welcome