Author Topic: Frustrated Beginner  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Frustrated Beginner
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2012, 21:40 »
or you can just make sure there no dirt on the car (easy to do on a white car especially) and wipe the blade down with a cloth after every sweep. used properly they do work well but yes if theres any dirt there its going to mark it. for the glass they're very good.

also be careful of lamp posts they scratch it to bits too  :evil:

sorry just a bit of fun. :wink:

Either that or because it's white it's really hard to see the scratches? :lipsrsealed:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

MonkeyP

« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2012, 22:13 »
i am new to the whole detailing a car. to be honest i have stuck to bilt hamber. i currently use their snow foam, auto wash (with mitt), clay bar (regular), and gonna try their hydro wax. going to apply it with their pads they supply and will buff off with their micro fibre towels. surfex HD on the wheels as well as clay bar.

will be looking to buy polish just to give it that extra pop. was thinking either go for another bilt hamber product or dodo juice as it is very highly recommend on here

am i on the right line or would you go different products?

Oh and i will be using Poor Boy sealant on the wheels as that has just arrived.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2012, 22:15 by MonkeyP »

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2012, 23:00 »
i am new to the whole detailing a car. to be honest i have stuck to bilt hamber. i currently use their snow foam, auto wash (with mitt), clay bar (regular), and gonna try their hydro wax. going to apply it with their pads they supply and will buff off with their micro fibre towels. surfex HD on the wheels as well as clay bar.

will be looking to buy polish just to give it that extra pop. was thinking either go for another bilt hamber product or dodo juice as it is very highly recommend on here

am i on the right line or would you go different products?

Oh and i will be using Poor Boy sealant on the wheels as that has just arrived.

you can't go too far wrong with BH products :)

DoDo LP is a great polish... but I think Zaino All in one just eclipses it... i am also hearing good things about auto finesse tripple

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2012, 23:33 »

I wouldn't clay it too regularly. Clay bars are associated with marring the paint work. I only do mine twice a year, that is it needs really. Any more and you may inflict more damage than good...Esp on a new GTi like you have  :wink:

MonkeyP

« Reply #24 on: 05 July 2012, 12:28 »

I wouldn't clay it too regularly. Clay bars are associated with marring the paint work. I only do mine twice a year, that is it needs really. Any more and you may inflict more damage than good...Esp on a new GTi like you have  :wink:

Sorry i am only aiming to clay it every 4 months. i am going to clay the wheels this weekend so them i can apply the sealant.

I have not polished the car yet as its fairly new and has hardly any mile on it. but i will be looking to polish it just before the end of summer. How often do i need to polish the car tho? i will be waxing it one every 4-6 weeks.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #25 on: 05 July 2012, 12:39 »

Sorry i am only aiming to clay it every 4 months. i am going to clay the wheels this weekend so them i can apply the sealant.

I have not polished the car yet as its fairly new and has hardly any mile on it. but i will be looking to polish it just before the end of summer. How often do i need to polish the car tho? i will be waxing it one every 4-6 weeks.

I personally polish it max thrice a year. I use a DA when I do it, weather or not you would 'need' to polish more if only using hand is debatable.

As for waxing, I give it atleast 2 coats of DJ super natural hybrid, this will last upto 4months I'd say, so again I only wax my car thrice yearly tops!

I'd suggest the same for you, find some good wax that provides good longevity and protection.  :smiley:

Offline Pinky 1959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2012, 14:24 »

whats the point of just directing someone to another site when there are plenty of very knowledgeable users on here?  :huh:
[/quote]

I know there a lot of very knowledgeable people on here but assuming the op had read and looked then that is another source of info

MonkeyP

« Reply #27 on: 05 July 2012, 15:18 »

I personally polish it max thrice a year. I use a DA when I do it, weather or not you would 'need' to polish more if only using hand is debatable.

As for waxing, I give it atleast 2 coats of DJ super natural hybrid, this will last upto 4months I'd say, so again I only wax my car thrice yearly tops!

I'd suggest the same for you, find some good wax that provides good longevity and protection.  :smiley:

thanks for the advice!

I will try BH hydro wax and see if its any good then after that runs out i will give DJ Super natural a go.

would i need something to strip the previous layers of wax of the car before i polish it?

oh sorry but what is DA?

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #28 on: 05 July 2012, 16:07 »
Clay bar will remove wax. So may some really strong all purpose cleaner, APC, you normally dilute down APC so just don't dilute it down much  :grin:

DA - dual action polisher. Google the difference between rotary and DA and you will see why most beginners choose DA's.  :wink:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 05 July 2012, 16:17 »

whats the point of just directing someone to another site when there are plenty of very knowledgeable users on here?  :huh:

I know there a lot of very knowledgeable people on here but assuming the op had read and looked then that is another source of info
[/quote]

you're assuming a lot!! the search function on this forum is massively under-utilised