Author Topic: THE MK2 gear shift repair guide  (Read 49915 times)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
THE MK2 gear shift repair guide
« on: 22 January 2006, 12:52 »
GSF sell the linkage repair kit:
71709C GEAR LINKAGE REPAIR KIT £5.75 + VAT

This is what you'll receive:

1x big red bush (in the large bracket that holds the gearlever shaft)
4x hard plastic bushes (only 2 needed, for bracket bolted to the gearbox)
2x big clear soft rubbery bushes (for the relay shaft)
2x small white soft rubbery bushes (for the ends of the shift rod)
2x rivets (un-needed, used for the red bush housing but no need to drill out old ones)
4x soft foamy washers (used on the short & long link rod ball joints)

Its also worth buying an uprated relay shaft bush from:
http://www.iol.ie/~locoblade/bushes.html
Will improve the forward back feel a great deal :)

Ok pop the bonnet and this is what you'll see, note I've already fitted the weighted shift rod:

Remove the header tank and place it out of the way, this gives you loads of room to work in. Pre 90 spec ones are just slotted into the bracket, 90 spec ones are held on with 2 bolts/studs under the black plastic trim bit.  Don't forget to disconnect the level sensor if one is fitted!
The short & long rods with the plastic end caps have little clips to clamp the ends, carefully unclip these, I snapped one off and had to make an emergency visit to the scrappy!  Both rods should then pop off with a little persuasion.
Lever the spring clips out of the metal shift rod and remove, make sure these don't ping off & disappear!
Undo the 13mm nut on top of the relay shaft, and remove the large metal arm.
Loosen the 13mm pinch nut & bolt on the clamp on the gearlever shaft bracket, until it can be removed (you might want to mark its position but Chances are the alignment will be out after refitting all the bushes anyway!)
Remove the 3 13mm bolts holding the relay shaft bracket to the steering rack, and remove.  This is tricky, you have to wiggle the bracket about whilst holding the gearlever shaft as far back as it will go, there is only just enough clearance!

Your engine bay will now look like this (note 2 of the gearbox linkage bracket bolts are circled):

Now you have 2 choices, either remove the bracket bolted to the gearbox, or just unbolt the lever from the bracket.  If you wish to change the gearbox it would be a good plan to do it at the same time as the only way to do it is to remove the linkage bracket.  It also makes it easier to fit the replacement bushes and refit the lever, plus you can clean it up nice  :smiley:

To remove the bracket:
Undo the large bolt through the middle of the gearbox mount.
Jack the gearbox up as far as possible, go slowly as the clutch arm will hit the inner wing.
Remove the bolts holding the linkage to the gearbox and it should slide out nicely
If you want to replace the gearbox mount, there are 2 smaller bolts holding the gearbox mount in the subframe, remove these and you'll have JUST enough clearance to remove it and swap in the new one.

To remove the lever from the bracket:
Simply remove the 13mm nut & bolt and the lever will slide off  :smiley:

Ok now you'll have a pile of linkage bits on your workbench, after cleaning em up with a wire brush you'll have something like this:

(notice I forgot to put the small plastic linkage and the lever mentioned above in the pic)

It should now be pretty obvious which bushes go where, if you are unsure I've listed the locations above. The tricky one is the big red bush but it is possible to rip the old one out and fit the replacement without drilling out the rivets, put it in a tub of warm water first to make it a wee bit more flexible.  Then as the red book says, re-assembly is the reverse of removal, make sure you grease up the moving parts while you put it all back together  :smiley:

Now to set up the alignment, dave2227 sells the alignment tool to make the job easy:

But being a tight Northerner I just used an old cassette tape held in the gap between the reverse gate & lockout lever with duck tape!  Make sure you do the pinch bolt up tight, I made the mistake (twice!!) of not doing it up enough and lost all my gears a day or so afterwards as a result  :grin:

Job done:
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 12:45 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
Gearstick housing replacement
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2006, 12:54 »
Gearstick housing replacement:
It's pretty straightforward to do but a bit fiddly.  You can still get the repair kit from VW, part number is 191 798 116A. I would recommend you get the genuine kit, this isn't a job you want to be doing twice!  It also helps if you get an alignment tool from Dave2227 off ebay, but this is not essential.

1. Remove the gearstick gaitor & centre console to give you more room to work

2. Undo the 2 10mm nuts either side of the gearstick.

Raise the car on ramps, or jack it up, if itÂ’s too low for ramps.  Observe safe practice - use axle stands, apply the handbrake, chock the wheels. Select neutral.
Now get under the car
3. Remove the exhaust centre heat shield by removing the 6 nuts/clips holding it on, then rotate it round the exhaust an off the car

4. Shove the housing up into the car, it is only held in by gravity & grease at this point, then remove the 4 13mm nuts holding the shiftbox to the car

5. Now get back in the car, pull up on the stick and push down on the shiftbox, and Jiggle the gearlever housing about until you can get it out, bit of a fiddle but it can be done!

6. If the ball looks like it is worn you can remove it, if it looks OK I wouldn't bother! Its tricky, you need to press the ball upwards while someone holds the gearlever down, then you need to remove the split pin.  Not an easy task!

It's much easier if you drop the gear lever down and out through the hole left by the absent ball housing.  You need to wiggle the stop plate gently through the aperature, then the white plastic detent block through the same hole.  A little pressure to move the exhaust sideways a fraction helps and itÂ’s much easier with two people - one in the car and one under it.  It will come out, but needs fiddling.

7. Refit the gearstick if you removed it in the previous step. Remember to be careful getting the stop plate through the housing. Install the new ball housing its just as fiddly as getting the old one out, some swearwords may need to be spoken!

Other useful pics:

Gearstick removed (new ball fitted)

Wear inside the ball housing - certainly enough to get you reverse instead of first.  On my GTI you could actually see through the bottom of the housing!

Old and new balls; wear looked quite minimal, but in for a penny...

Big thanks to Gary Woods for supplying the pics for this guide and some extra hints :)
« Last Edit: 07 February 2007, 08:51 by rubjonny »

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
Re: THE MK2 gear shift repair guide
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2006, 08:13 »
Its worth checking all the rods for play, there really shouldn't be any :)  The plastic ends are prone to cracking with age and will give you play as you say.  If the short one is damaged you'll loose 5th gear!

Oh and for christ's sake go to bed  :grin:

Offline Ktuludays

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2007, 21:50 »
just a quick tip.

if you can't get the big red bush out of the main selector shaft then do as i did.

get a heat gun and melt the bugger out.

a lot easier than trying to pry it out.
<br /><br />What don\'t kill ya, makes you more strong!

Offline pegasus

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2007, 14:07 »
erm... none of the links to other threads work, it just takes you to the forum index??

I need a relay shaft ball, so was looking for the thread relating to it as linked above (I'll search for it)

However, can the links be fixed to benefit others that may have the same problem?

1.8 20VT GTI

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2007, 19:06 »
link fixed :)

Offline pegasus

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2007, 20:41 »
link fixed :)

Indeed you have Sir

but what about this one...  :laugh:

I also did this repair on my 16v. I documented it here. Extra pics may proove helpful.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17399.90

Also, this guy that supposedly does the alignment tools hasnt been on this forum since december 05'...? and I need one  :undecided:

1.8 20VT GTI

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2007, 20:56 »
well i dunno, that aint my link :grin:
it might be in Bens MK2 project thread though?

Have a look on ebay theres usually a few alignment tools on there.  Like I said I did mine by trial & error, then when I got the too lto check it was spot on  :cool:

Offline gjroe78

• I live here
  • http://shop.ebay.co.uk/mattroe2007/m.html
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2007, 14:21 »
Gonna attempt to do this over the next weekend, cheers for the pointers

Just a quickie, is the weighted shift rod worth the money ???
<br /><br />+ a 1.8T Bora Sport(R-Tech\'ed to 213bhp)

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2007, 15:55 »
indeed, i sell em on for £5 any more than that is a ripoff, since you can buy new from VW for about £12! ;)