Author Topic: Brescia alloy damage  (Read 4964 times)

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
Brescia alloy damage
« on: 12 August 2018, 17:37 »
Hi all, my mate has recently taken delivery of MK7.5 GTD with 19" Brescia's, he's had a very slight coming together with a kerb  :undecided: (I feel his pain) I damaged one of my black Pretoria's while back but after gently smoothing with emery cloth touched it up and hardly noticeable now.

I know diamond cut are a different problem to deal with but based on pic below would you recommend doing anything temporary with it...is there anything you can do with diamond cut?.... Is it likely to deteriorate if left as is? Damage you see is only about 15-20mm length, cheers.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Brescia alloy damage
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2018, 18:08 »
Any marks/chips on the diamond lacquer will eventually cause corrosion. Seems such a small mark though, I would just keep an eye on it and when it gets worse then get it repaired.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2018, 18:25 »
As annoying and disappointing as these things are they are inevitable. I've ignored the marks on my alloys as there are only so many times you can refurb diamond cut. And you know what'll happen shortly after it has been refurbed..... I'll get mine done either when some more significant damage occurs or all four are looking below par.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2018, 18:37 »
Thanks both, leave it and monitor sounds in order  :wink:.....I did think about getting my Pret refurbed but longer I've left it its not such a concern.... 

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2018, 18:42 »
I'd get a lacquer touch up pen and give the marks a bit of a coating - if only to (hopefully) stop whiteworm spreading from it.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2018, 19:39 »
I expected whiteworm yet at 3 years old and a fair selection of grazes, nothing. Perhaps less use of road salt here in the south has helped?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2018, 20:52 »
I'd get a lacquer touch up pen and give the marks a bit of a coating - if only to (hopefully) stop whiteworm spreading from it.

Never thought about a lacquer touch up, cheers mate  :wink:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2018, 21:40 »
Clear lacquer can provide long lasting protection if the damaged area is cleaned up first; depending on the type of damage, either with fine wet and dry paper and / or a mildly abrasive polish.

I suffered similar damage on the edge of one of my diamond cut alloys when I had my mk6 GTD, which resulted in a small scratch about 1 cm long. Most people probably wouldn’t notice it, but to me with my car-OCD, it was noticeable.

It was a ‘clean’ scratch, so didn’t need rubbing down with wet and dry. I cleaned the damage with some mildly abrasive polish, carefully filled in the scratch with clear lacquer and when it was dry, polished the repaired area so the lacquer in the repair was smooth and level with the surrounding area. I then applied a couple of coats of wax for protection.

The DIY repair area never deteriorated during the remainder of my ownership of the car, which I think was around 3 years after I repaired it, and it was very difficult to see - even to me with my car-OCD!
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2018, 21:59 »
I would clean it up, gently smooth it down and put a bit of lacquer on it. At the very least, it should help protect against moisture and salt over the winter, and can always be professionally refurbished at a later time.
7.5 GTD

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2018, 08:41 »
I would get a professional repair. Won’t be cheap but my car OCD would not let me keep a mark like that on my car. Swallow a bill of £100 or whatever and it’s back to perfect. Depends How fussy he is.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias