Author Topic: inner cv joints?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Omen-8vgti

• Just got here
inner cv joints?
« on: 17 April 2003, 09:38 »
hi, i have an 8v gti '85, and i push her a bit almost always...  until a few days ago...  there's this weird noise coming from the left front wheel, i don't think it's the outer cv joints cause it doesn't "click" when i take a corner but when i'm just driving along a straight, it makes this weird "clicking" noise...

i'm not sure if it's my wheel bearings cause i jacked my car up to see if there was anything obvious wrong when i turned the left front wheel, and it seems like the inner bearing joint thing (that's on the gearbox) is worn cause there seems to be too much movement in the wrong directions.

any ideas?  any idea how major i've messed things up and what would fixing it would entail?  

thanx for your help  :'(
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: inner cv joints?
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2003, 14:07 »

I'm not sure if it's my wheel bearings cause i jacked my car up to see if there was anything obvious wrong when i turned the left front wheel, and it seems like the inner bearing joint thing (that's on the gearbox) is worn cause there seems to be too much movement in the wrong directions.
:'(

Those front wheel bearings can be a PITA, not only to identify which one is wrong but also to fix.
However, clicking is not usually wheel bearing, it does sound like one of your CV's. What are the gaiters like, none of them are split are they? They can wear quite quickly once the grease escapes. Its more common for the outer to wear before the inner.
What do you mean by 'too much movement in the wrong directions'? That sounds suspect.

Offline hilly

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2003, 23:33 »
Hi,

I thought I had a similar problem (inner cv) since turning made no difference to the clunk but it turned out to be...
...a loose wheel.  Do'h!!

Just making sure you've checked that.  Sounds simple but took some finding!

Offline Omen-8vgti

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 19 April 2003, 00:12 »
Hi, thanx 4 the replies, i really appreciate the help...

well, i don't know what the gaitor things are, but i have checked the outer cv joint boot things, they aren't torn or anything, they look like they're in pretty good condition that's why i don't suspect the outter ones.

what i mean by too much movement in the wrong directions is that: that bearing thing that's just off the gear box, doesn't just turn round and round, it seems that it has some (too much) movement towards and away from the tire closest to it. there also seems to be a slight "oil" leak from it, and when i wiggle it around it makes a funny noise... so i suspect that (i think that's the inner cv joint?)

so any idea how much work ( not to forget money ) is involved? thanx again for any help.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 April 2003, 04:39 »
Inner CV from GSF is ?32.75 + Vat.
You'll need to remove the complete drive shaft which isn't too bad with the right tooling. Undoing the driveshaft nut will require a large driver (I use a 600lb/ft torque wrench which is about 4ft long). The other end is secured to the gearbox with 8mm special torx type bolts that you will require the correct tool for.......available in most autofactors etc.
I can dig out the workshop manual procedure for you if you like.
HTH  :)

Offline Omen-8vgti

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2003, 22:42 »
hmm, sounds like a big-ugly mission ( it could be worse i suppose)

i think i'm just gonna take it in to a place to do it, i don't wanna mess anything up more than i need to ;)

thanx 4 ur help!