Author Topic: need help with mk2 16v non cat exhaust please  (Read 1954 times)

Offline m3vpk

• Just got here
need help with mk2 16v non cat exhaust please
« on: 20 April 2003, 23:45 »
hi all
need some help please
buying mk2 16v 1987 tomorrow
has blow on exhaust
it seems to be just below manifold on a gauze bit that is i would say there for flex etc
could someone please tell me whether this is part of manifold or downpipe or separate
whether its a dealer part only or where i mite get one

a picture explaining wuld be great
thanks
for your help

john
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline black_vr6

• Not said much yet
Re: need help with mk2 16v non cat exhaust please
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2003, 00:00 »
hi there
proceed with caution there m8.I had a 1990 16valver with a blow out there .its most likely to be on the down pipes on the flexible area which can,t be welded obviously and has to be replaced and unless u really know what  ure at is best left to a mechanic as engine mountains and things have to be removed to replace the downpipe.Also a new downpipe which can only be got through a VW agent cost me ?180 or so at the time.mine went because the engine mountains were knackered,allowing the engine to rock back and forward to much putting excess stress on flexible downpipe causing it to break.So might be a good idea to check the engine mountains out also.to do this put the car in 2nd gear with handbrake off and engine NOT running,rock the car back and forward whilst looking underbonnet at engine,the engine should move about a little bit,say twist about an inch at the top or move up and down about 1/2 an inch,but if its really slopping about then ure engine mountains r knackered.the engine mountains can be costly too unfortunately,ie i think ?50 or so for the front one which is like a little fat shock mounting the rest in around ?25 or so.i can,t be too sure of the prices to be honest as it,s been a while since i had the mk2.let me know how u get on with it m8

Offline Marky

• Not said much yet
Re: need help with mk2 16v non cat exhaust please
« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2003, 00:44 »
Pretty sound advice from the man with the vr6. I've personally changed a few down pipes on gti's but only 8v's. They all seem to wear on the flex joints and are mainly due to knackered  engine/gearbox mounts and hard driving. Well worth checking the mounts first or the new pipe wont last. As for cost, suprisingly genuine vag stuff can be cheaper than factor parts and alot better quality.