Author Topic: A few questions from new owner  (Read 1845 times)

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
A few questions from new owner
« on: 02 May 2003, 15:38 »
Hi,

I just bought myself a mk2 16v on an E plate. It's a campaign edition and has covered 90k with a full service history.
I have read recent posts about poor idling from cold. Mine has the samae trouble, when starting from cold the card cuts out unless the accelerator is pressed for ten seconds or so and even then the revs fluctuate between 1000-2000rpm.  Has anybody experienced this before?
Also, can anybody help me with the history of my car. The log book states that the car was not registered until 1991 even though it was manufactured in 1988. The car has got big bumpers fitted and is painted in a rare colour (very dark grey with a red tint). I was told that there are only 50  of these in this colour in the country. Can anybody clarify this. BTW the reg is        
E59 VFD.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tom
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline tinman

• I live here
Re: A few questions from new owner
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2003, 00:12 »
Hi Tom,

The idling can be many things.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that everyone who seems to get this problem heads straight for the Idle Stabilisation Valve.

However, the component that we changed was an electrical component called Idle Stabilisation Control Unit or something similar. You'll need a Haynes manual but its found in the cabin in the centre console somewhere.

Find it, pull it and decide if the car is the same. If it is, then its dead. Your best bet is to find someone with a GTI and try theirs :-)

On the second subject about your car.

There are two possibilities.

Firstly, it is a Campaign and someone has put big bumpers on it. Find them, execute them.

Secondly, it is a 91 model with an E plate stuck on it. 91 models in 16v were available with optional extras such as 3 stripe interior, blacked out rear lights, and the original MK2 Campaign colours (graphite, blue, oak). And so for all intents and purposes, they look like a Campaign.

There are two ways to decide whether it is a Campaign.

Firstly the wheels. The 91 model had 15" rims which were similar to the Campaign, whilst Campaigns have 14". The wheels also have different number of spokes.

Secondly, ask your VW dealership for a print out of the main database showing your car. You will have definite proof then. 88 = Campaign, 91 <> Campaign.

I'd love to know where the number "50" came from?

Regards,
Justin Clements

« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »