Poll

How often do you (or someone else) clean your car?

Once a week
18 (36%)
Once a fortnight
11 (22%)
Once a month
5 (10%)
Mother Nature cleans it for me
1 (2%)
When it needs doing irrespective of time since last wash
15 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Cleaning your car  (Read 12907 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Cleaning your car
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2019, 14:47 »
I'd like to wash mine weekly as I love the TR which really glows when clean. But, it gets done when I can fit it in which could be anything up to 2 or even 3 monthly intervals :embarrassed:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2019, 16:40 »
Washed weekly, easy job as it is ceramic coated so the dirt just falls off. Hate having a dirty car. :cry:

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2019, 17:11 »
There’s me thinking I was in a minority but weekly is winning at the moment. But then I guess if you’re not into cars or looking after them, you don’t buy an expensive GTI to start with!
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2019, 17:22 »
Once a fortnight for me. Used to be once a week before kids. I reckon I spend more on car cleaning products than human cleaning products.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2019, 17:44 »
Probably once a month in the summer. In the winter it'll be whenever it's not dark, rainy or icy outside and i'm not at work. Can be every couple of months unless it's really filthy.  :embarrassed:
7.5 GTD

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2019, 23:04 »
There’s me thinking I was in a minority but weekly is winning at the moment. But then I guess if you’re not into cars or looking after them, you don’t buy an expensive GTI to start with!

I’m once a week and at the mo have 4 to do.

You’d be surprised the amount of people who buy crazily expensive cars and still take them to the local £3 car wash.

Just one example:

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2019, 23:47 »
Always baffles me when I see mega-expensive cars in the local scratch and swirl.

I'm that OCD I carry around a pre-mixed 1l bottle of Optimum No Rinse just in case I get a bit of bird sh!t on the car. I often clean the wheels in between washes too.

Neighbours think im weird too.

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2019, 00:46 »
Said I’d never buy a black car again.....
On my 3rd one now.
Definitely the last.
I’m into detailing and it drives me mad when my cars dirty again hours after being washed.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2019, 05:36 »
Always baffles me when I see mega-expensive cars in the local scratch and swirl.

I'm that OCD I carry around a pre-mixed 1l bottle of Optimum No Rinse just in case I get a bit of bird sh!t on the car. I often clean the wheels in between washes too.

Neighbours think im weird too.

Not weird at all IMO. I’ve become immune to the predictable comments from the neighbours too - I get plenty of comments when it’s machine polishing time, which usually takes me 2-3 days to give my car ‘the works’ - wash, decontaminate, machine polish, sealant / wax, dress tyres and trim, clean glass, clean interior.

I also carry a bird poo removal kit - needed to use it just this week. Less hassle cleaning bird poo off as soon as possible after the event, rather than having to machine polish areas of etched clear coat from the acid in the bird poo if it’s left on the paintwork for too long.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2019, 07:06 »
Another weird trait of mine is to avoid using my car on a Sunday if it was washed and cleaned on Saturday. Take today for example. I have a 60 mile round trip to visit family. Do I take the GTI knowing it’ll get wet & muddy or do I just take to the wife’s Polo, keeping mine in the garage?  I know it’ll get dirty on the Monday commute anyway, but it will annoy me sitting on the work car park looking like I didn’t clean it this weekend. On the other hand, I’d much rather drive the GTI than a manual 1.2 Polo!  Gah.  :laugh:
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.