Author Topic: 1990 8v Golf Gti Knocking sound when applying power.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Superspecs

• Not said much yet
1990 8v Golf Gti Knocking sound when applying power.
« on: 11 February 2016, 16:36 »
Hi guys,

Long story short.

My 8v has developed a knocking sound coming from some vague direction under the passenger side/bonnet/wheel arch area.

It only knocks when you apply power and the car is moving. There is no knocking while cruising/coasting or if revving away when the car is parked.

I had it checked out at a garage and they said they couldn't see anything immediately wrong and to just keep pottering around in it until some more obvious symptoms develop  :shocked: I had another local mechanic friend to look at it and he said the lower gearbox mount had perished and it could be the gearbox/engine block trying to "jump off" the mount as power is applied. He replaced that which has reduced the knocking significantly but it's still there.

I'm guessing the cause of the problem lies elsewhere? He said he check all the usual spots and everything seemed fine, apart from the gearbox mount which he replaced.

Any ideas appreciated? Just any areas to check?

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: 1990 8v Golf Gti Knocking sound when applying power.
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2016, 17:45 »
could be a few things. wishbone bush/faulty driveshaft/front engine mount/ track rod end etc. sounds like it needs a more thorough inspection.

Offline Superspecs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2016, 22:21 »
Cheers I will look in to those. I know the he said he checked the track rod ends. Also i should add that I'm sure i felt some rocking in the steering wheel before I had the rear gearbox mount replaced, havent felt it since so it could have been my imagination.

Offline normski216

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2016, 12:54 »
I had something similar in the past on a previous golf. I changed the gearbox and drive shaft to no avail. If I remember rightly I jacked the car up and let it idle in first gear,  I can't remember what the results where but it could give an indication as to weather it's a suspension/wishbone fault or moving parts issue.
I do know that I never got to the bottom of it but drove for over 18 months with it before taking it off the road and eventually breaking it.