Author Topic: My Corrado VR6  (Read 12151 times)

Offline toledo

• Not said much yet
Re: My Corrado VR6
« Reply #20 on: 26 June 2011, 20:31 »
People will think you've started repping with a car like that  :laugh: ( that was repping not rapping by the way )

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #21 on: 26 June 2011, 20:45 »
People will think you've started repping with a car like that  :laugh: ( that was repping not rapping by the way )

It's more like I'm turning eastern european!!  :tongue:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline toledo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 27 June 2011, 09:42 »
So next job was to replace the worn pedal covers
Here are the nice shiny new ones, genuine of course, we could always suss out the aftermarket ones that used a harder less grippy rubber and fitted badly :

Old ones removed:

New ones soaking in hot water to soften them :

These are the old ones, obviously  :rolleyes:

And the new ones :

In situ :

These were far easier to fit than i expected , i do remember our mechanics swearing at these and how awkward they were to stretch over the pedals.
Another satisfying cheap improvement, gearknob and steering wheel next, i did buy a gearknob from TPS a while back but as they list several and you can't see them before you order them it isn't the right one, i think it's from a G60 and late Mk2 Gti
Here it is with the rest of the order , pedal covers, rad top flange, door card clips, and sunroof grease ( how bl**dy much !!!!! )

On that point, does anyone have a guide to greasing the sunroof ?

Offline toledo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 27 June 2011, 10:06 »
The next test to my amateur mechanicing skills was the day the door handle let go and i heard a clunk as part of the lever fell into the door, bu**er !
On seeing the mental prices being asked for second hand ones that would probably be of a similar vintage and therefore liable to break at any point without warning i ordered a passat handle conversion kit from Germany and a couple of new topran handles from Fleabay, these were listed as for a Passat 1988 - 1996 which of course with hindsight is daft because when the B3 became the B4 in around 1993 the handles were changed inside and out , outwardly they resemble the Golf Mk3 handles and the fixing screw is much further recessed than the earlier model, so the seller apologised and ordered me the correct ones on a special order, these took a month to arrive and were for the front rather than the rears i'd ordered to have a de-locked look but it was easy peasy to swap my barrels over , they came with locks & keys but i don't like to see 2 or 3 sets of keys to a car.
The handles cost £7.99 per side + £3 delivery and the conversion kit was £27 delivered.

This is the old lever alongside the fitted new one, you can see the difference between Passat & Corrado handles.

After drilling the first pin out that holds the lever into the handle mechanism i found out that with the right small screwdriver i could spin the pin round then put the driver on an agle to grip the pin and pull it out, the levers come with new solid pins.
My door now opens with the solidity of a new car, after a month of reaching across from the passanger side that is a relief.
Filled with a new sense of purpose i now removed the seats, wetvac'd the whole interior , carpets ,seats and boot, i cleaned the rooflining with carpet cleaner in a spray bottle using a cloth, the linings come unstuck as it is without wetting them through so it was safer this way.
I don't think the car had been valeted in well over a decade !
I could have built an extension on the house using the sand i found in the spare wheel well and behind the rear arch carpets  :shocked:
Then a new set of genuine carpet mats went down, i discovered one of the rear quarter panel interior trims was coming unglued so i removed it , glued the vinyl back in place , covered it in clothes pegs until it dried and then re-fitted it, good as new !
Next i treated all the rubber parts , door seals etc with Autoglym rubber and vinyl which left me whith nice clean rubber and a very dirty cloth .
Sorry i have no photos of these bits but some things are just too boring to show, and stopping to take a photo every few mins really strings out the job don(t you find  :grin:
« Last Edit: 27 June 2011, 10:15 by toledo »

Offline toledo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 27 June 2011, 10:35 »
To do list :

Rear brakes are corroded and seized, the handbrake is very dodgy, took the rear calipers from our kids old passat before the pikeys took it but one of the piston seals was split and after pricing up the service kit from TPS at over £50 trade  :lipsrsealed: i have bought a new genuine Mk4 Golf nearside one off Fleabay and am looking for the other side now

Must get the paintwork fettled, the fuel filler neck is just starting and there is a stone chip bleb on the arch and drivers door as shown:

Also when i took the wheel arch liners off to get to bumper bolts for pump job the liner cracked the filler in the front wing which i believe was part of the wonderful paint jo done to sell the car by the previous owner, i have now acquired a couple of replacement wings to sort this in due course, just need to find a bodyshop , i thought i'd found one but the job they've done recently on my daily came back showing fantastic panel beating skills but there were a couple of runs and masking marks on the edge of the panel which is dissapointing although i did rush them  :embarassed:

Oh and i bought some front and rear Sachs shockers and springs that have covered 15,000 miles last night to go with the powerflex axle bushes i am waiting to be delivered.  :cool:

Offline toledo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 27 June 2011, 10:40 »
She looks good to say that i've only washed her on the outside, no polish or wax yet

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #26 on: 27 June 2011, 16:10 »
i have bought a new genuine Mk4 Golf nearside one off Fleabay

You could of had the spare I have....... fairly cheap?   :lipsrsealed:
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk