Author Topic: AdamMk2 - 16v  (Read 6612 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
AdamMk2 - 16v
« on: 10 December 2008, 14:09 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
Re: AdamMk2 - 16v
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2008, 17:21 »
 :laugh:

Right, thought I best 'start' the write up of whats happened so far! Its been ages since I purchased the Golf in May this year now so Il let you know what gone on!

As I said above I purchased my Golf in May this year, I purchased it off a very decent bloke actually from the forum here (RobDub) obviously a keen dubber so I was already onto a winner! Rob was also the bloke who let me know about the Golf gti forum.

Id been wanting a Golf for ages, and back when I was 18 I used to look on eBay at golfs to buy as Im sure many of us have done in the past haha, admittedly they would have been absolute dives so Im pretty glad I never really went there. I will try and find a pic of one of the ones I looked at, I remember it was a white Mk2 which hadnt lets say got the best of paint work anymore!  :cry:

Heres another one I looked at, or should I say won! I got insurance for the day and everything then my mate let me down on a lift! so in the end I had to leave it, which was annoying but I think the seller was relieved as he wanted more than £99 Im sure!

This was one that someone may own now??? the chap was moving and he needed to get rid of it as he didnt have parking for it, £99.00 on ebay!!

I then saw what was a Mk3 VR6 5door in purple in my home town, which always used to park up in the same place, when it came up for sale my instant thought was Yesss I want that, If only I knew what VR6 meant, really I knew it meant expensive but the hope that it was cheaper than a Gti was there! haha, I soon found out, quotes of £1500 seem reasonable when your that youn but really, dont bother!

I then drove my mates Mk4 R32 which was on a 53 plate back in 2005, he is 4 years older than me but that car shook me up some! I only drove it down the road and my legs were shaking haha! how could you not like a car like that though, it was a 3dr, full leather version with an alpine roof screen in the back, only 9,000 miles when he had that haha, that was definately not an option anyway!

So...............

After all that it leads me to now where I have finally ended up with the Mk2!!

Im not at all bothered its a 5 door, its got everthing I was looking for so Well pleased  :cool:

This was how the car was before I viewed it

It looks like it used to roll on RM's, standard 6.5J. I purchased it from Rob with some Sebrings which looked quality in Black

The day I picked it up!  :laugh:

This picture makes me want some more sebrings! They filled the arches really well, however were a tad on the heavy side

« Last Edit: 10 December 2008, 17:46 by AdamMk2 »

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2008, 08:31 »
Right, now the first job to do was to give it a good clean!  :laugh:

There were a few things I picked up on that I could do with replacing, or wanted to change, but allround it was mint, full leather interior was the best bit!  :laugh:

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2008, 08:37 »
List of things to be done the week after I purchased

Replace front engine mount as its snapped

Replace jacking point cover as its missing

Have a look at the alarm as its a bit tempremental

Strip out ALL the interior as being prone to leaks
« Last Edit: 11 December 2008, 19:13 by AdamMk2 »

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2008, 18:54 »
So anyway, after getting those few things sorted all was good,

next plan was too

*Check front grommits for leaks
Install Headunit, rip out all existing wiring and re-route wih quality cable

Now took back the carpet on the front passenger side and saw daylight haha,

these got wd40'd, waxed and sealed with new 20mm blind grommits, luckily being an electrician I have so many grommits I dont know what to do with them so they came in handy!

The headunit was easy as well, rewired the loom side as it had been spurred from the rear heated window and fused down, why use that when the original is better!

So out came the ipod headunit

and in went mine

I bought the Headunit for my original car, but its about a million times better than the ones they sell nowadays, its a 2005 Pioneer the deh-p9400,
its got more pre outs and settings than Ive had hot dneers, I love it!

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2009, 15:34 »
Long time since I posted! Even longer since I got the car!

Loads to say but its remembering it in the order of how it happened originally!

So, got the HU in, all cables were renewed, old speaker loom is still in place but thats not going to be used again!

*Got myself a Stealth shelf off Lewy, in went my original speakers I kept from the previous car, and the kenwoods went on here for a couple of quid.

*Replaced the broken shelf support!

*Looked into alarm, needed ripping out really, further stories to follow on that one!

*Replaced the Header tank, new Rad hose to go on.

*All doorcards have been off

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2009, 18:35 »
Once again, havent posted in a while!

Some news and happenings, although over the last 12 months and not in order missing a lot of stuff!!

So, sold the Sebrings when I got the BBS on, however today I just missed out on a pair on ebay as I missed them as winters! They are quality wheels  :cool: however heavy!

Managed to get some g60 steelie "lookalikes" in a 14" for a good price, all with good tyres and 1 was new! original idea was as winters however that never happened and as of yesterday (Sat) theyre now on my mates mk1 while he recons his alloys! At least theyre being used!

Picked up my new summer wheels a couple of weeks back, a lot iof work has gone into them so far, looking promising, however money is the downer lol, the question I ask myself it "is it really worth it?" at which my mate chuckles back "BUILT NOT BOUGHT" which frankly is so true.

Have managed to get around to a load more bits of late, some serious rewiring! The bumpers are coming off next weekend for some treatment, ie "Forever black" (Thanks for the product chuff  :cool: )

Had a service at the start of the month, everything was done that I wanted to do, however I have a feeling I threw out a K+n Panel filter  :sick: that is gutting.

Rehung the exhaust however that still likes to make noise!

Door card on the drivers side has been off yet again! Im thinking the main central locking unit in the door is dying so thats next on the agenda!

Pics at some point in time  :wink:

Ad

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2009, 19:05 »
Right, once again will start it witht he long time no update!

Lets be honest Im not that up to date on the project as in detailing it all down although progress is going somewhere!

So,

After much deliberation I couldnt live with the boring 6.5j width of the Sportlines no more, it looked like it was running on train tracks from behind and it was not the look I fancied.
Although the Toyo's were still holding strong and the wheels looked nice my sheer arrogance of the winter by selling the sebrings meant that the sportlines witht he polished lip took the winter toll and pitting took over!

They went off to a lad and his dad from exeter for their caddy, he did offer me some 18"s in px but I had to decline lol, apparently they fit under a caddy, Im not as convinced about my golf, nor would I want them!

So anyway,

Got some White edition BBS RM's, cleaned up well!  Didnt like the colour but when I realised how rare they were I felt guilty spraying them so they have now moved on to pastures new! Hopefully where they will stay original!

Now

awaiting the new wheels, am driving to france this weekend so need to be good! there is some major stretch I must add, Im slightly scared!  :shocked:

Its more getting up onto the ferry thats going to worry me however!

Also have a new front splitter as I gave up on the old one after the AA man tore through it with his tow rope many months ago  :cry:

All the interior has been out once again,

Wiper arms have come off to be respayed

Rear GTI badge took the same colour turn as my centre badge did and chaned colour

Also got hold of some new armoured door plates for the rear as the current ones have bubbled a bit underneath and have seen theyre day

Im sure lots more has come about but too much to list!

Have another idea/ little trick up my sleeve dor the car but we will see  :cool:

Ad
« Last Edit: 26 May 2009, 19:07 by AdamMk2 »

Offline AdamMk2

• I live here
  • Beautiful
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2009, 19:09 »
Picked up the new wheels newly refurbished at the weekend  :wink:

A nice brand spanking full set of RM's, silver centres, gold bolts and 2" and 3" dishes leaving me with 8s and 9s!

The fronts are stretched with a 165 on a 8J !!!!  :laugh: and the rears are running 195's on a 9J

Has ultimate poke its unreal! However had a few minor scuffing issues on the way to Stoner park on sunday so the arches were rolled yesterday (Thursday)  :rolleyes: not fully as I wanted to be able to remount the arch again properly!

so I also did that yesterday, I picked up the new genuine rivets from VW which werent particularly cheap  :sick: but fitted well and obviously werent metal on metal  :smiley:

Also replaced the two front cover caps for the wiper bolts along with completely blacking my 'golf gti' badge looking a bit sharper.

Have got some new rear armoured door plates for the doors which are in the process at the moment!

Took the fan cowling off, sanded and resprayed so looks a lot better  :rolleyes:

Every door card has been off again and a lot of tinkering has gone on! Have an awsome idea for the handles which Im starting tomorrow.

Heres a pic anyway, one of the lads from the edition crew took this as I parked up on Sunday at Stoner  :laugh: and I dont think she looks bad considering about 9 hours before she got back from france form a 550 mile round trip with just a wash over in the morning!  :shocked:

« Last Edit: 05 June 2009, 17:29 by AdamMk2 »