Author Topic: What detailing haven't you done today?  (Read 21631 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
What detailing haven't you done today?
« on: 14 November 2018, 12:21 »
I presume we all have good intentions and a list of things to do but for various reasons haven't got around to it. So I thought a thread might allow people here to get it off their chest as afterall, a problem shared and all that :smiley:

I need to first of all clean my car, inside and out, been on holiday oop north in it plus commuting and lots of days out since we've had guests staying on and off for over a month and it hasn't had so much as a duster inside it! It needs a load of stone chips touching in, a small scrape on the bumper professionally attending to, a good wheels off decontamination, a polish and wax.

Excuses. We've had guests which has taken up all my days off for sometime other than the odd one at a weekend when car cleaning is frowned upon :rolleyes: Today is a bit tricky, dropped said guests off at Heathrow at 8, have the house to myself but as yet, no action in the resolving of the dirty car department. I'm blaming being tired given a long day yesterday with a late boozy night and early rising, definitely not laziness :whistle:

So, anyone else care to unburden?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing haven't you done today?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2018, 16:54 »
My car is in need of a good wash, but there’s currently a distance of 6,700 miles between my car and me, so it’ll have to wait until I’m back in the UK and the miserable UK November weather before I wash it :sad:.

At least at this time of year there’s no problem with hard water spots drying on the paintwork before I have a chance to dry it after washing :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2018, 21:29 »
Sounds like you making it sound hard work Watts!

Outside - A Golf can be done in about 1hr max (excluding setting up and putting away!) and that's a proper clean.
Inside - max 25-30 mins and thats including cleaning all the glass.

Helps if the car has a nice sealant on though as that makes the job easier  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2018, 10:07 »
Bloody wheels take best part of an hour alone :sad: I've just been time poor lately, some opportunities coming up soon, weather permiting.

Looks like either I'm the only one not doing any cleaning (at least without a 7000 mile excuse) or the only one admitting to it. Or no-one else gives a monkeys about discussing it! Option 3 me thinks...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2018, 18:18 »
My Amarok is looking grim. I'm keeping on top of the interior, but it's not been washed for many weeks and being a working truck that gets the odd close encounter with foliage, the DPB paint isn't looking its best. It will probably go through the winter with the odd wash at a very good hand washing place that I have found, then get a full pro correction detail in the spring. I had it done when I first got it, so will be going back for more of the same.

The Tig get a bit more personal love, but nowhere near as much time as I'd give cars up to around 5 years ago. Life, work, cycling gets in the way. Besides, whilst it's nice to have a clean car, we are only custodians, so the beneficiary of all the hard work is the next owner, and will they care? Probably not. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2018, 19:04 »
My car is in need of a good wash, but there’s currently a distance of 6,700 miles between my car and me, so it’ll have to wait until I’m back in the UK and the miserable UK November weather before I wash it :sad:.

At least at this time of year there’s no problem with hard water spots drying on the paintwork before I have a chance to dry it after washing :smiley:.

Anywhere nice?

I'm in the same boat, my car has been tucked away since the summer and won't be touched until I get back to the UK next year :cry:

I will make it up to him though with a service and new tyres as soon as I get home :grin:

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2018, 19:29 »

Anywhere nice?

I'm in the same boat, my car has been tucked away since the summer and won't be touched until I get back to the UK next year :cry:

I will make it up to him though with a service and new tyres as soon as I get home :grin:

Hope you are both somewhere nice!

I will be using mine through the winter and I can't believe how much dirt is caught on the rear lip. I keep pouring water over it as a v temporary measure but it's definitely the 'detailing I haven't done today'!
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2018, 07:21 »

Anywhere nice?

I will be using mine through the winter and I can't believe how much dirt is caught on the rear lip. I keep pouring water over it as a v temporary measure but it's definitely the 'detailing I haven't done today'!

Hog_hedge and andy28, I was in Singapore visiting an ex-pat friend who lives and works there. Unfortunately I’m back in the UK now, and a bit of a shock to the system coming from 27-30 degrees of warmth back to 5-6 degrees, wind and rain.:shocked: :grin:

Yes, this time of year, the rear lip - in fact the whole rear end - of any modern ‘two box’ hatchback car gets very dirty; a consequence of the shape of the car and road spray and dirt getting ‘sucked’ onto rear when the car’s moving forward. Not the nicest time of year for keeping a car clean, and when it is, it doesn’t stay looking that way for long!

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2018, 17:24 »

Nice is a matter of opinion :grin: there’s people out here who have it a damn sight worse let’s put it that way :whistle:

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2018, 14:53 »
The rear of the Golf seems to have been designed to create a massive low pressure area, and consequently sucks up all of the water and crud which passes under the car and deposits it on the rear screen and bumper.

The only way to stop it is to have a diffuser like the one used by Aston Martin on their GT racers:

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and the results achieved in the wind tunnel.

For now, we Golfists are condemned to regularly washing our rear ends.