Author Topic: Car alarm going off in the middle of the night  (Read 9598 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Car alarm going off in the middle of the night
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2019, 09:53 »
When ultrasonic sensors ho faulty they trigger with tempurature drop or rise. My first port if call would be to turn off interior sensors and see if that fixes it. Then as said bonnet sensor. You could get it scanned as that would show whats triggered the alarm.

Is an OBD11 good enough for that? I've been tempted to pick one up anyway.

The JB4 can read some codes, and there are some, but it just tells me that it doesn't know what they mean

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2019, 11:03 »
Its not a cat jumping on the car is it?

That can and does set it off...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2019, 11:14 »
Do you live near a main road, I do and my old Golf MK5 and more recently neighbours car's alarm goes off when a certain loud bus or trucks goes past. on the Mk5 VW just turned the sensitively down, and it solved it.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 22 November 2019, 11:20 »
Do you live near a main road, I do and my old Golf MK5 and more recently neighbours car's alarm goes off when a certain loud bus or trucks goes past. on the Mk5 VW just turned the sensitively down, and it solved it.

No, we've lived here over a year, not particularly close to a busy road, and it's only recently been a problem. Could be, but unlikely

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 November 2019, 11:21 »

Thought about this as well, not sure why they'd suddenly pick on my car, and you'd think the wailing alarm and flashing lights would be a deterrent!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2019, 11:29 »

Thought about this as well, not sure why they'd suddenly pick on my car, and you'd think the wailing alarm and flashing lights would be a deterrent!

I can remember reading on a forum a few years back that a GTI owner had a problem with their car alarm going off intermittently. They found a large live spider in their car, and presumably the movement of the spider was picked up by the car’s interior motion sensors. The spider was removed from the car and no more false alarms.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 November 2019, 11:49 »

I can remember reading on a forum a few years back that a GTI owner had a problem with their car alarm going off intermittently. They found a large live spider in their car, and presumably the movement of the spider was picked up by the car’s interior motion sensors. The spider was removed from the car and no more false alarms.

Oh christ.... that would be my worst nightmare  :sick:
« Last Edit: 22 November 2019, 14:45 by sjw »

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2019, 13:10 »

Don't bet on it, not the brightest of animals some of them. I've seen my neighbours cat sat on his cars bonnet with the alarm screaming and the cat just gave the car a dirty look! Obviously a warm bum is preferable to noise pollution!! :laugh:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2019, 16:56 »
UPDATE:

The alarm hasn't gone off the last few nights, touch wood. I'm guessing it was the bonnet sensor, could have been the battery terminals. I guess I just have to enable the dashcam now and pray it doesn't start up again!

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #19 on: 10 December 2019, 07:26 »
Your dash cam was more than coincidentally installed when this started.

My father had this with his Nissan. Went back to the dealers multiple times and ultimately it was his dash cam triggering the internal alarm sensors through temperature. Can only assume it was installed next to the cabin sensor. Seems quite common on some other cars.
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S