Author Topic: GTI TCR vs R  (Read 13182 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
GTI TCR vs R
« on: 14 October 2019, 10:51 »
Now received and put some miles on, thought a separate thread justified for those who are thinking moving from an R to the TCR or latterly moving from an R to the MK 8 GTI with rationale that the MK 8 GTI will be likely increased to 290 BHP and not drive too dissimilar to the TCR.

Had my apprehensions on switching, mainly in dropping the AWD and the oft quoted firmer suspension set of the TCR which was balanced by the hope that the 100 KG drop in weight and some of the TCR tweaks would offset and keep my driving experience at the same high level had with the R.

These only initial thoughts as only done 360 miles and still varying my driving to the 1000 miles, which know some contest as not needed but I see the logic completely and think its still a must activity.

But first thoughts.

Feels much livelier than the R, you can definitely feel how much lighter it is and that makes the TCR feel more agile as push in to sweeping bends.

The power delivery is more instant and smoothly linear than the R, it really does get moving quick! (imagine those with pedal boxes get the same) and the 30-70 pull, even with watching the rev counter is smile making :)

So lost none of the pace of the R that became a must have and even the 10 BHP down, the TCR feels quicker and more responsive on the move

There might be  just 10 BHP difference, but MPG was improved, where would expect circa 30 mpg on the mixed driving that did it returned 36 MPG

It was a rubbish and wet weekend and even when moved out of junctions at a decent push there was no tramping - imagine if boot it hard in the wet it will tramp but in the middle ground of a decent getaway you felt assured you are going to make the gap without any standing still. This was a concern, but as drove through the weekend very much allayed now.

Happy to report that the suspension commentary is just a misnomer, as even in Sport there is really good compliance, you do not get any crashes, you feel the bumps in surface being absorbed still, the only feeling on a poor surface is that the ride jiggles around a little on the uneven surface - Comfort feels pretty close to the R with DCC and same for the Normal as matching - So, suspension is a non issue, you are still getting the best of both worlds with excellent comfort on the commute, firm and flat when putting the selector to Sport.

The steering has been modified for the TCR and is very noticeable as different to the R in combination with the 100 KG drop in weight. Steering just felt more precise and TCR just feels lighter and more agile in your hands - The R goes around the bends on its rails, planted and secure, where the TCR gives you more feeling of the car, lighter on its feet but equally assured - Its hard to describe really but the difference is there to feel.

Cannot really comment on the Akrapovich too much aside from like the deep tones and they look great back there, the real assessment will come later when put more miles on and can really test. Love that there is no soundaktor, all noises are real :)

Coming from the MK 7, there is also the MK 7.5 additions to take in.

Have to retract all my previous comments on the virtual cockpit as love it, its very clear, and to have the navigation view with the smaller dials is brilliant - The navigation itself is much improved, the added manoeuvre graphic make such a difference at the multi exit junctions. - Think there is more configuration that can do but like the clean and clear look and I am a convert.

The speed sign recognition is excellent also, as travelled through many different villages and speed zones.

The new MIB is much improved also, the screen resolution and glass ipad style touch, clear and fast, - Had to input a couple of DAB logo but everything set up quickly, my phone connecting on bluetooth and the Car Play also improved with track art.

The We Connect seems to work ok, synched up each day ok so the e-sim obviously functioning.

Took a drive out to Caffeine and Machine for breakfast and then onto Ikea to buy some units as the TCR has to earn its keep and of course it does its dutiful Golf duty very well :)

These just initial views, but will add some more R to TCR comparisons once really put some miles on it - Off to Manchester next week so that be another 400, so should be up to the 1000 by months end.

Still can imagine there will be some tramp on a wet day if floor it, but from 3 days driving am only feeling upside, with the styling and drive,

« Last Edit: 14 October 2019, 10:56 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: GTI TCR vs R
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2019, 11:16 »
Good info and review. I'm debating TCR or R next as 2 possible options.

Here's the Akra for everyone in forum size...  :grin:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2019, 11:19 »
Good review!

I wonder though if a similar spec'ed Mk7.5 GTI PP would have felt just the same?

The TCR is a lovely package in terms of looks - no dispute, but in terms of driving?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2019, 11:50 »
I would say very to little difference in the driving, the only real world difference is the lower bhp.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2019, 12:32 »
Great to see your first impressions are so positive hertsman :afro:
Once you get used to the VAQ diff you’ll be properly converted!

Similar to my thoughts on moving from R to Clubsport, neither “better” but noticeable in how different they drive considering all the similarities in hardware.

Good review!

I wonder though if a similar spec'ed Mk7.5 GTI PP would have felt just the same?

The TCR is a lovely package in terms of looks - no dispute, but in terms of driving?

The only real difference is the GTI PP feels even more linear and pulls from lower revs but the TCR engine is more revvy and wants to pick up its skirts and zoom off more readily. Against a stopwatch there’d be little in it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2019, 12:34 »
Good review!

Pretty sure the DCC is different on the TCR, different components and set up more like the CSS and 5 mm lower than the GTI PP - How that equates as a different to the PP in driving I cannot answer but in terms of the to the R, then the TCR felt more agile yet no less secure.

"19-inch “Reifnitz” alloy wheels with 235/35 R 19 tyres plus Vmax limit removal and adaptive Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) including running gear that is lower by 20mm compared with the normal running gear (five millimetres less as compared to the GTI running gear) as well as a special sports adjustment of the front axle and rear axle shock absorbers."

Some have better view on the technical aspects, so maybe they can add that thread moves on.

I am taking it easy but the power seems to come earlier than my R and it just 'felt' quicker and power kept coming - Think my R would definitely benefited from a pedal box having stepped into the TCR.

Keeping near to the 300 BHP and the R pace was one of the major convincing aspects to switch, but it surprised me how quick it feels (think that word 'feels' is important as its highly likely that R and TCR very comparable if put a watch to what saying)

Did not mention the brakes in preliminary review above, but they caught me out a couple of times as grabbed harder than expected from the R and made me and wife jolt!

My thinking at the moment is that R is so capable in what it does that it insulates you a little from the experience, and that maybe the TCR with its extra BHP keeps that pace but gives you a little more driving engagement also.

Its my first GTI, a car always wanted since they came on roads, so maybe I am a little heady from the heritage also, loving the little red accents and the badge, and very happy to be in one, and think got my timing right :)

Of course early days, and need to get out in the TCR more and drive without restriction to really compare, but given how much thought of the R, happier than imagined would be.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2019, 13:24 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2019, 12:45 »
Great to see your first impressions are so positive hertsman :afro:
Once you get used to the VAQ diff you’ll be properly converted!

Similar to my thoughts on moving from R to Clubsport, neither “better” but noticeable in how different they drive considering all the similarities in hardware.

Good review!

The only real difference is the GTI PP feels even more linear and pulls from lower revs but the TCR engine is more revvy and wants to pick up its skirts and zoom off more readily. Against a stopwatch there’d be little in it.

There is no better, better is subjective, and very happy to settle on just different flavours of great.

JCT 12 off M1 is a nice curvy slip and though did not push it hard around that sweeping bend it ran fast, flat and secure and as exited to slow down the smile was definitely there - The run to caffeine and machine takes you through some nice B roads and again was taking it relatively easy, the handling was excellent :)

Know the TCR is not quicker on a stopwatch but the TCR had me having to pull the reins back far quicker than expected, very pleasing for when I let it have its head :)

Sure there be a wet day where R AWD will be missed as getaway but given the wet weather that went out in this weekend there was no compromise only upside so far.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2019, 12:58 by Hertsman »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2019, 13:37 »
The new version of dcc should be on the mk8 but the version on 7s and 7.5s is exactly the same. Does the TCR not have the same suspension as the Leon Cupra ST r? Slightly different camber I think.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline hobbes22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2019, 18:39 »
Now received and put some miles on, thought a separate thread justified for those who are thinking moving from an R to the TCR or latterly moving from an R to the MK 8 GTI with rationale that the MK 8 GTI will be likely increased to 290 BHP and not drive too dissimilar to the TCR.

Had my apprehensions on switching, mainly in dropping the AWD and the oft quoted firmer suspension set of the TCR which was balanced by the hope that the 100 KG drop in weight and some of the TCR tweaks would offset and keep my driving experience at the same high level had with the R.

These only initial thoughts as only done 360 miles and still varying my driving to the 1000 miles, which know some contest as not needed but I see the logic completely and think its still a must activity.

But first thoughts.

Feels much livelier than the R, you can definitely feel how much lighter it is and that makes the TCR feel more agile as push in to sweeping bends.

The power delivery is more instant and smoothly linear than the R, it really does get moving quick! (imagine those with pedal boxes get the same) and the 30-70 pull, even with watching the rev counter is smile making :)

So lost none of the pace of the R that became a must have and even the 10 BHP down, the TCR feels quicker and more responsive on the move

There might be  just 10 BHP difference, but MPG was improved, where would expect circa 30 mpg on the mixed driving that did it returned 36 MPG

It was a rubbish and wet weekend and even when moved out of junctions at a decent push there was no tramping - imagine if boot it hard in the wet it will tramp but in the middle ground of a decent getaway you felt assured you are going to make the gap without any standing still. This was a concern, but as drove through the weekend very much allayed now.

Happy to report that the suspension commentary is just a misnomer, as even in Sport there is really good compliance, you do not get any crashes, you feel the bumps in surface being absorbed still, the only feeling on a poor surface is that the ride jiggles around a little on the uneven surface - Comfort feels pretty close to the R with DCC and same for the Normal as matching - So, suspension is a non issue, you are still getting the best of both worlds with excellent comfort on the commute, firm and flat when putting the selector to Sport.

The steering has been modified for the TCR and is very noticeable as different to the R in combination with the 100 KG drop in weight. Steering just felt more precise and TCR just feels lighter and more agile in your hands - The R goes around the bends on its rails, planted and secure, where the TCR gives you more feeling of the car, lighter on its feet but equally assured - Its hard to describe really but the difference is there to feel.

Cannot really comment on the Akrapovich too much aside from like the deep tones and they look great back there, the real assessment will come later when put more miles on and can really test. Love that there is no soundaktor, all noises are real :)

Coming from the MK 7, there is also the MK 7.5 additions to take in.

Have to retract all my previous comments on the virtual cockpit as love it, its very clear, and to have the navigation view with the smaller dials is brilliant - The navigation itself is much improved, the added manoeuvre graphic make such a difference at the multi exit junctions. - Think there is more configuration that can do but like the clean and clear look and I am a convert.

The speed sign recognition is excellent also, as travelled through many different villages and speed zones.

The new MIB is much improved also, the screen resolution and glass ipad style touch, clear and fast, - Had to input a couple of DAB logo but everything set up quickly, my phone connecting on bluetooth and the Car Play also improved with track art.

The We Connect seems to work ok, synched up each day ok so the e-sim obviously functioning.

Took a drive out to Caffeine and Machine for breakfast and then onto Ikea to buy some units as the TCR has to earn its keep and of course it does its dutiful Golf duty very well :)

These just initial views, but will add some more R to TCR comparisons once really put some miles on it - Off to Manchester next week so that be another 400, so should be up to the 1000 by months end.

Still can imagine there will be some tramp on a wet day if floor it, but from 3 days driving am only feeling upside, with the styling and drive,

Why would you do that do me! I love the looks of the TCR, so congrats. What is the little 'TCR' light?
Sold - Octavia 2.0 PD Tdi. Shark remap. EGR Delete. Decat. H&R Shocks. Hybrid Turbo.

Sold - 2016 GTI PP, Manual. Pure White. Keyless.

Current - GTI Performance, DSG, Isaac Blue, Brescia 19”.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2019, 18:42 »
Puddle light under door similar to mk4 Golfs had but with added logo like JCW Minis have.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner