Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529200 times)

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #600 on: 31 May 2016, 12:11 »
Not today but Sunday.Just a quick wash. I was meant to do a full decon, polish and wax this weekend but it didn't quite work out. I had the gear all layed out and everything :sad:.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #601 on: 31 May 2016, 20:21 »
Beautiful job.  :cool: :cool: :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #602 on: 01 June 2016, 10:08 »
Did just over 800 miles on a holiday to North Wales last week. Had to do an emergency pit stop at Halfords before setting off as I realised I didn't have enough glass cleaner left. Bought some AG fast glass, along with AG bird poo wipes and some AG insect remover to take with me and put 4 wo-wo MFs and 2 wo-wo glass cloths in the boot as well.

Had a great holiday but the car got covered in dead insects.

When I got home from work yesterday I decided it could wait no longer to be dealt with!

It was a bit of a 'that will have to do' wash as I really didn't have enough time to complete the full process. I was mainly concentrating on the insect removal.

• Sprayed AG 'Active insect remover' all over the worst of it on the front bumper and bonnet and let it work for a min or 2 before doing the 1st pressure washer rinse
  • snow foam and rinse
  • snow foam again concentrating on the front and sides (roof and back was ok) and rinse
  • clean wheels using VP wheel cleaner, big wheel woolie and wo-wo wheel mit
  • 2 bucket wash with DDJ supernatural + wo-wo lambswool mit, rinsing off each panel/section afterwards as washing in direct sunlight
  • rinsed off and dried with towels but it mostly dried in the sun - we have soft water so don't need to worry about water spots
  • had to wash and rinse the bonnet again as I missed a few bugs
  • left the wheels to air dry as I ran out of time

Before:

After using the AG insect remover and pressure washer rinse. I don't think it did any better job than the snow foam would have done so the only advantage is it comes in a bottle so is portable.

After:

There's still a bit of etching from a few bugs on the bonnet so it really needs a polish to sort it out properly I guess. Can only be seen from certain angles when up really close - difficult to see on the photos but it's there:

2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #603 on: 01 June 2016, 10:42 »
Beautiful job.  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thank you Rebecca, much appreciated. :smiley: I’ve bought my first proper wax (ODK Glamour) to try and a pre-wax cleanser by Mitchell & King, ‘Pure’. I’ll report back on how I get on with pictures. :wink:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #604 on: 04 June 2016, 20:21 »
Gave it a quick interior clean this morning, ready for it's trip to the body shop next week.  Always think that if the car looks well cared for they will treat it with a little more respect, lol, well that's the hope anyway.  I've used this body shop before and they know my 'ways'.   The exterior will be washed too before it goes in, and I've got my various "please do not wash" signs including the great WoWo hanger, at the ready.

Anyway today the inside had a good clean.  There was a huge amount of cut grass in the driver's footwell from various site visits.

•   Full interior vacuum with my Metrovac Vac n Blo - upholstery, carpets and mats, using the various attachments.  I love this machine. 
•   Vac n Blo mini tools and compressed air used for nooks and crannies.  
•   ValetPro detailing brushes and compressed air, used to chase dust off delicate areas - piano trim and media       screen.
•   Plastic trim cleaned with Poorboys Natural Look Dressing applied on a WoWo microfibre and buffed off with clean MFs.
•   Leather cleaned with Gliptone Leather Cleaner spray.
•   Interior glass and mirrors cleaned with Gtechniq G6 Perfect Glass, used with WoWo Glass Cloths.

Order is now restored!  
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #605 on: 06 June 2016, 13:15 »
Neighbour was out cleaning his insignia yesterday (with a sponge  :shocked: - I didn't say anything although was tempted), so I decided mine needed a quick wash as it was looking a bit dusty lol  :rolleyes:

Pressure washer rinse, snow foam, pressure washer rinse and open hose rinse. As an experiment I just let it air-dry (backed the car down the drive so it was in shade). Didn't actually turn out bad. there are just a couple of water spots on the bonnet. I will make sure I towel dry always now. However, I do love that with snow foam, if it's not really dirty, the car looks great with next to no effort. Obviously, it wasn't 'Rebecca clean' but I was ok with that yesterday  :laugh:

No pics as there wouldn't be a visible difference in the before and after photos.  :grin:

Oh yes and the pressure washer (old karcher k2) has started leaking (in addition to pulsing when not pulling the trigger). A quick google revealed that it's something cracked in one of the valves inside. As I don't fancy taking it apart then I'll be buying a new one. Fancy a Karcher K4. http://www.diy.com/departments/karcher-k4-premium-full-control-home-pressure-washer-130-bar/1254861_BQ.prd We have an old patio cleaner attachment, so could get the one without, but this patio cleaner looks better. Also the premium version has a reel for the high-pressure hose, so should make packing away much easier. And I've got a £10 off voucher for B&Q.  :cool:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #606 on: 06 June 2016, 13:40 »
^^^ Cheek!  :tongue:

Did mine today.  Half hour speed wash - snow foam, 2BW and dry only.  Ready for body shop tomorrow.  Looking forward to next couple of days in a Skoda Fabia 1.0L  :laugh:

Rebecca clean  :wink:.........

« Last Edit: 06 June 2016, 14:05 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #607 on: 06 June 2016, 13:46 »
Nice to see your car from a few different angles Rebecca.
Looks gorgeous as usual.
Compliments to your other half for his gardening efforts as well as I know you wouldn't have time for that due to constant R cleaning :whistle:

« Last Edit: 06 June 2016, 14:06 by Booth11 »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #608 on: 06 June 2016, 14:07 »
Nice to see your car from a few different angles Rebecca.
Looks gorgeous as usual.
Compliments to your other half for his gardening efforts as well as I know you wouldn't have time for that due to constant R cleaning :whistle:

Oops sorry kalimon accidentally modified your post instead of quoting it.  Rectified it now.  Moderator senior moment.

Lol, the gardening efforts are mine.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #609 on: 06 June 2016, 19:59 »
^^^ Cheek!  :tongue:

Did mine today.  Half hour speed wash - snow foam, 2BW and dry only.  Ready for body shop tomorrow.  Looking forward to next couple of days in a Skoda Fabia 1.0L  :laugh:

Rebecca clean  :wink:.........

That looks great for 1/2 hrs effort Rebecca. I think it would take me at least an hour to speed wash my car (so not very speedy!) and 2 - 2 and a half hours for a normal clean.

Good move on getting the bodyshop not to wash your car. I had a minor repair carried out on the bottom front edge of the bumper when I had my mk6 GTD and I also asked the bodyshop not to wash my car. They looked really surprised and said no one had ever made that request before. When I collected it after repair, it was covered in bodyshop dust, but at least the paintwork remained swirl-free.

Enjoy the Skoda :)
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl