Author Topic: The big puzzle!  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Ajay

• Not said much yet
The big puzzle!
« on: 16 May 2015, 23:53 »
Hey folks

So, finally got a VAG scanner and I plugged it in hoping to find all sorts of answers...

The car: 1991 Karman with a 1.8T AGU engine (1999?)

The issue: Anti-stall kicks in every single time the revs drop to idle - the car is almost dying at every opportunity, or clinging on to life, depending on how you look at it.

According to VAG:
Error: something like Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) open output ?
Also has a vehicle speed & ABS error - neither of which I am worried about as my setup has neither present

Maf sensor reads abot 3g/s at idle, seems to behave normally when it revs higher

Temp sensor - readings look very plausable - hot when its been running, cooler when it's just been started. Someone said about dual circut on another thread, which may make sense as there's 2 temp readings? one that moves and the other stays at 29-30 degrees

Lambda - it says something like 20%???? at idle and dissapears to near nothing/normal when you rev it a bit... and STINKS of fuel...

Ideas?

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
Re: The big puzzle!
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2015, 13:11 »
I would start at the fault you picked up.

According to VAG:
Error: something like Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) open output ?

Sure this valve regulates the fuel vapour pressure from the tank and more so on idle? Someone else might be able to explain in more detail.

Offline Ajay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2015, 10:57 »
I'm sure the canister doesn't actually exist on the car now though as I was unable to locate it in the engine bay =/

Offline WadGTI

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI'er
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2015, 11:44 »
I'm sure the canister doesn't actually exist on the car now though as I was unable to locate it in the engine bay =/

check the diagram from vagcat and reaplce whats missing. Not having the canister means you are venting fuel vapour into the bay??(assuming the breather pipes are still there)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2015, 18:10 »
Engine transplant may have left the connector loose on the loom somewhere, without the vapour system rigged up back to fuel tank. Find the offending plug and trick the Ecu with a suitable resistor ;)

Build thread clicky

Offline Ajay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2015, 12:01 »
do you think that would cause an uneasy idle?

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2015, 02:00 »
Charcoal canister would bear no ill effects on a engines performance or idle.

Sounds like a pipe is split or missed on somewhere,

Fuel trims block 032 in VCDS sounds bad.   shouldnt be anywhere near that.  Investigate further on fuelling side....especially before booting it.

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline Ajay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 10 June 2015, 10:12 »
Anyone have any more thoughts on the lamda reading? I assume it affects fuel flow..??

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2015, 12:54 »
vehicle speed sensor I would assume is like the one that went on mine, the car would just all of a sudden die when stationary (revs drop) and would struggle to start again.
For how much they are I would replace that

From memory there are 3 blocks under in the inlet manifold, one is brown, one white and one black I think, pretty sure the brown block leads to the speed sensor
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)