Author Topic: GTI Red 'I' Is there any significance to it being red?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline terencejarrett1

• Just got here
Hi First off Hello all I'm new to this forum (only ever having three Golfs since learning to drive).
My last Golf Mk4 GTI had a silver 'I' & my latest Golf Mk4 GTI is red is there any significance to this or is it just a style item? Both cars are Petrol 20v Turbos
Thanks Terence
pic;

« Last Edit: 06 May 2015, 09:40 by terencejarrett1 »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: GTI Red 'I' Is there any significance to it being red?
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2015, 09:43 »
Welcome, it's your first post so I'll forgive you for bringing this up :wink:

Basically there is no significance to the red I. The dealers put whatever badges they had at the time on the cars as and when they were delivered. I too have a silver I on my 1.8T and my mate with the same year Golf had a red I, both same engines, same spec, different original dealers.

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline terencejarrett1

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2015, 23:29 »
Hi Ok, thanks for the reply & clearing that up.

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2015, 01:53 »
No difference it's whatever was on the shelf, hell there's even a Blue I

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2015, 20:13 »
bit ropey that eh :angry: mind you that was when vw started to decline :grin:

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2015, 20:18 »
ok if someone designed a gti badge and then went to the trouble of highlighting the I in red then there must be some reason for it.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2015, 15:56 »
Nope

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline prt57

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2015, 21:59 »
I bought an early 1.8T back in 1998. I was told by the salesman that it would come with the red I to signify it had the higher power compared to the none turbo version which would have a silver I.
When my car arrived it had the silver I and the salesman then said that they fitted what was available in the factory. I did not worry about it as my car is red and the silver stands out better.
However my son had the car for a few months and he went down the route of locating a red I which is now fitted. Now back in my ownership and I am sure the red I gives an extra 10 bhp!!!!!

Just done 500 miles since yesterday lunch time, the old girl just keeps on going. I had an indicated average 44.5 mpg yesterday over 250 miles. Not quite so good today as it was against the wind. An R -Tech remap helps the mpg as well as smiles per mile!

Offline damien010685

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2015, 22:15 »
I bought an early 1.8T back in 1998. I was told by the salesman that it would come with the red I to signify it had the higher power compared to the none turbo version which would have a silver I.
When my car arrived it had the silver I and the salesman then said that they fitted what was available in the factory. I did not worry about it as my car is red and the silver stands out better.
However my son had the car for a few months and he went down the route of locating a red I which is now fitted. Now back in my ownership and I am sure the red I gives an extra 10 bhp!!!!!

Just done 500 miles since yesterday lunch time, the old girl just keeps on going. I had an indicated average 44.5 mpg yesterday over 250 miles. Not quite so good today as it was against the wind. An R -Tech remap helps the mpg as well as smiles per mile!

Nope! I know 2 people who the same year and model golf both with diff badges and have the same bhp

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2015, 18:26 »
My sarcasm senses are tingling...