Author Topic: Head Gasket DIY on 1.8t AUM Help Needed please....  (Read 1626 times)

Offline barry2366

• Not said much yet
Any help welcome, i have looked everywhere to find a DIY giude to fix head cover gasket, pictures, videos nothing.how long would the job take start to finish? not long ago done rocker cover gasket now another leak has appeared and my mechanic says he is 95% sure its head gasket as i have already done rocker cover..
« Last Edit: 27 April 2015, 22:18 by barry2366 »

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Head Gasket DIY Help Needed please....
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2015, 17:20 »
Before stumbling onto head gasket have a look where the leak is coming from. Not uncommon that rocker gasket still leaks after replacing.

Thought Haynes manual covered head gasket change pretty well??
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline brianpologti

• Here all the time
Re: Head Gasket DIY on 1.8t AUM Help Needed please....
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2015, 07:08 »
I check the rocker gasket again , where's it leaking from? At a guess I say left rear, if that's the case have you checked the boost hose that runs down the back of the block ? On the aum they changed to a clip/o ring, and the can leak , but you can change it to an agu one quite easy,

Offline barry2366

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2015, 14:44 »
thats spot on top left, when we looked when on the ramp whats the easiest way to get to the boost pipe? still learning any chance of a picture? cheers for your help..

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2015, 13:23 »
Its the pipe between the pancake pipe (behind the drivers wheel) and the one that runs down to the left (if your stood looking into the bay) off the top of the turbo  :smiley:
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline barry2366

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2015, 00:29 »
cheers guys, after taking cover off again i can see the oil leaking out :angry: i have sanded both sides down so there is nothing in the way do i just put lots of sealant all the way round on the base and the cover :undecided:

i managed to snap 2 of the rods thinking the cover wasnt tight enough using a torque wrench (wont do that again)

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2015, 02:11 »
Rare for a 1.8T to bust a headgasket.

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton