Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529508 times)

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #400 on: 19 March 2016, 21:37 »
I'm in the market for a DA machine, tempted by the DAS and Meguiars G220v2. But have had my head turned by the Rupes LHR 15ES.

Anybody have views on the 3 ? Rebecca  :whistle:

Just read your DA review in another post Rebecca, top job thanks. Just your thoughts on the Rupes, did you consider this as an option?
« Last Edit: 19 March 2016, 21:59 by Peter W »
35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #401 on: 19 March 2016, 22:07 »
So am I  :shocked: Ms Booth has a lot to answer for on my bank balance !!

:whistle:

My wife's Fiat 500 is going to be the sacrificial lamb  :whistle: :whistle:

Always start on the lesser car.  :grin:  Seriously, t's a very good idea.  I first tried out on HWMBO old van.  But it's really pretty foolproof with a DA, not that I'm inferring any of you scaredy pusses are fools. :laugh:  After the first go you'll wonder what you were worried about.  Just remember to tape up any window seals and plastics (not bumpers) around wing mirrors etc, so you don't burn them with the DA.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #402 on: 19 March 2016, 22:20 »
I'm in the market for a DA machine, tempted by the DAS and Meguiars G220v2. But have had my head turned by the Rupes LHR 15ES.

Anybody have views on the 3 ? Rebecca  :whistle:

Just read your DA review in another post Rebecca, top job thanks. Just your thoughts on the Rupes, did you consider this as an option?

I didn't really give much consideration to the Rupes Bigfoot Peter because the price is beyond what I want to pay for a DA - approx another £100 over the DAS.  It has the exact same large 15mm throw as the DAS-6 Pro Plus which increases the cutting power and covers a wider area in one go so takes a bit of the effort out of the work.  I do know that someone very recently had both those on his list and went for the DAS in the end. I don't know if you've had a DA before but it's a lot of money to pay for your first DA.

The Meguairs G220v2 is now discontinued I think.  That was my previous machine and good it was too. In fact I've just sold it to a member on another forum.  But I wanted to update to the DAS specifically for the longer 15mm throw, (the Megs was only 8mm), and the DAS has a better ergonomic shape and possibly less vibration than the Megs.  I haven't yet tried out my new DA (but shall be very soon) but am very pleased with it and I'll be using it with the Meguairs Microfibre Correction system of pads and polish to simplify the polishing process and hopefully level a little of the orange peel that afflicts DBP cars.  I will feedback in due course about the DA and the pads and polish.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #403 on: 19 March 2016, 22:38 »
thanks Rebecca, I think the DAS could be the one for me, didn't realise it had the extra throw.
35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #404 on: 20 March 2016, 12:30 »
Love your car Peter, it's a proper head turner :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #405 on: 20 March 2016, 20:49 »
thanks Kalimon, it's needs a good few hours over the next couple of months to get it ready for summer, winter has taken its toll, it's going to need a bumper to bumper clean, engine bay, wheels off, interior and the DA cut and polish.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #406 on: 21 March 2016, 08:27 »
This weekend I made time to wash the red Golf after 6 weeks of grime build up. The idleness of my car washing is all about the long term testing of properly approved Life Shine. So far so good. A proper report will follow in due course.

The more important detailing project was the GTI caravan after it's winter hibernation. Having being exposed to the elements all winter there was a fair amount of 'green' in places, but nothing AG shampoo wouldn't shift. Due to it's size, the 6BM had to be applied, but it did have it looking like new again after just 2 and a half hours.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #407 on: 21 March 2016, 08:55 »
This weekend I made time to wash the red Golf after 6 weeks of grime build up. The idleness of my car washing is all about the long term testing of properly approved Life Shine. So far so good. A proper report will follow in due course.

The more important detailing project was the GTI caravan after it's winter hibernation. Having being exposed to the elements all winter there was a fair amount of 'green' in places, but nothing AG shampoo wouldn't shift. Due to it's size, the 6BM had to be applied, but it did have it looking like new again after just 2 and a half hours.

Nice justification of your car washing torpor. :grin:

The 6BM, lol, I like it!  2.5 hours is good going but where are the pics of the shiny GTI caravan???
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #408 on: 21 March 2016, 14:25 »
Just a quicky as I know you like your pics Bec

And no, I don't tow it with the Golf, before anyone asks
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #409 on: 21 March 2016, 16:19 »
Just a quicky as I know you like your pics Bec

And no, I don't tow it with the Golf, before anyone asks

Nice caravan and nice daffs   :cool:

Out of interest, how do you get up to clean the high parts - step ladder?  And the roof???

Shame you don't tow it with the Golf, as they make a lovely pair.  Very nice to see a rare pic of your Red Golf Simon -  it looks in superb shape, despite your shameful neglect of it on the car washing front.

Your patio looks exactly like mine (back of my house).  That needs a good jet wash too.  :grin: (only joking)

Ta  :smiley: 
« Last Edit: 21 March 2016, 16:23 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual