Author Topic: Temperamental Oil Pressure Warning Light/Buzzer After Engine Rebuild  (Read 6213 times)

Offline InsightMusic

• Not said much yet
Hi all,

The oil pressure warning light is really frustrating as it is extremely temperamental. Sometimes I can drive the car for many miles and the light/buzzer doesn't come on, but some days after just a mile of driving it can come on.

It's not consistant, when it's on, it will go off instantly, other times it will stay on until you slow down the car. I don't believe it's the sensor as I've purchased an oil pressure gauge and the readings are similar to those in the manual. The only worrying reading I did get was when the oil pressure dropped when the engine reached a good warm temperature and was left to idle at around 900rpm. The pressure did drop, but the oil pressure light or buzzer never activated.

I've had the sump off and checked the oil pump, cleaning the pickup and checking the clearance on the gears within the pump. All looks fine.

I've already done an oil and oil filter change at 50 miles and I've just reached about 250 miles, I'll look to change these again at 500. I've had Castrol GTX 10w40 in the engine as a break in oil for the rebuild and maybe the oil is at fault.

What would be causing the low oil pressure if that is the case? Should I just renew the oil pump or is there something else I can try first?

Thanks!

- Stefan